cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the Market Like out there for buying used?

RichAmy7_17
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold a very small TT so we can upgrade
We want a cash deal...man, is it expensive out there still? Question- the 2015 I am looking at is very clean.. but I need to see in person!!! It is under 30' Jayco Jay flight it is Murphy bed and bunks. Asking $14,500. I think its a little high but dealerships are even worse. It is exactly what I am looking for. Thoughts and experiences please!
38 REPLIES 38

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I don't think I would be any worse off than if your cash paid truck and RV were totaled by an uninsured driver or natural disaster.
Yes there is insurance,there are also deductibles, personal items, depreciation, loss of use etc..
Would you be made 100% whole by your insurance .. I doubt it.
Much in the same way my investments could sour.
I doubt the investments would sour to zero. I doubt the claim would pay zero.
But both scenarios could suffer a loss.

I don't think there is anything wrong with paying cash.
My point is paying cash does not guarantee the best deal,
it is not foolproof, it does not mean you will RV happily ever after
vs. a financed purchase.
As always the devil is in the details.
The End.
So, your financed stuff would get fully paid for by insurance?

I can tell you it won't. This actually happened to my brother. His financed car was totalled. The insurance paid. He still owed money on a car he no longer had.

If your brother had gap insurance he'd be fine.True, but Gap ins. did not exist back then...And that just means another expense eating away at your investment return if any.

Your obsession with risk is yours to own. Nothing in life is risk-free. Even cash. Your cash is worth less now than it was last year. If you had investments you could have avoided that.When did I say I did not have investments?

I bought a home in Florida in 2005. I lost my behind because of the housing crash. I kept making my payments then. It is paid for now, and worth many times what I paid. You only lose your behind when you sell into a down market anyway.I bought a house in CA in 2017. The increase in value will pay for my next home.
Maybe. The CA housing runup in prices is showing it's age. It will end at some point.

Walking across the street is risky. Cash is no longer king.I doubt that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I don't think I would be any worse off than if your cash paid truck and RV were totaled by an uninsured driver or natural disaster.
Yes there is insurance,there are also deductibles, personal items, depreciation, loss of use etc..

vs. a financed purchase.
The End.

I can tell you it won't. This actually happened to my brother. His financed car was totalled. The insurance paid. He still owed money on a car he no longer had.

If your brother had gap insurance he'd be fine.

Your obsession with risk is yours to own. Nothing in life is risk-free. Even cash. Your cash is worth less now than it was last year. If you had investments you could have avoided that.

I bought a home in Florida in 2005. I lost my behind because of the housing crash. I bought a house in CA in 2017. The increase in value will pay for my next home.

Walking across the street is risky. Cash is no longer king.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

vs. a financed purchase.
The End.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

vs. a financed purchase.
The End.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Huntingdog Wrote:"Fact is that there hasn't been such RISK FREE investments in a very long time,,, As for your rate of return.. I have done much better than that. but the other fact is it has been easy to make money in the market for the last 10-12 years, Any fool could do it."

@huntingdog

On one hand you state investing is so easy any fool could do it and make a profit.
Which is the point of many. Why pay cash when any fool can make a profit.

On the other hand you claim investing carries a risk.

We don't dispute there is a risk, but even with the risk there is a belief People believe all kinds of things that are not true.that financing can keep you in a better financial position vs. paying full cash up front for a new vehicle/RV purchase.
I guess we are fools for believing we can finance and make a profit vs. turning the cash over to the dealer.

Every one is a geinus..... Until they aren't.

If your investments sour, you will be out the money, and still have a loan payment. That is the risk.
If that were to happen... How would your financial position be better?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Huntingdog Wrote: "Fact is that there hasn't been such RISK FREE investments in a very long time,,, As for your rate of return.. I have done much better than that. but the other fact is it has been easy to make money in the market for the last 10-12 years, Any fool could do it."

@huntingdog

On one hand you state investing is so easy any fool could do it and make a profit.
Which is the point of many. Why pay cash when any fool can make a profit.

On the other hand you claim investing carries a risk.

We don't dispute there is a risk, but even with the risk there is a belief that financing can keep you in a better financial position vs. paying full cash up front for a new vehicle/RV purchase.
I guess we are fools for believing we can finance and make a profit vs. turning the cash over to the dealer.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I still have the money, invested and paying me nicely, I can pay off the loan anytime I feel itโ€™s a losing proposition to keep it. Your money on the other hand is now long gone and stopped paying you anything the minute you gave it to the dealer.
I still have money to invest.
What are you investing in that pays so much with zero risk? I want to get in on it.

Is your RV perfect? Risk-free? Probably not.

Yes, you still have money left, but that wasn't his point. His money works for him and he used someone else's money to buy his RV. Risk is relative.

I bet his RV isn't perfect either.. That is not the point. He is making some pretty big claims about finances that just cannot be backed up. I have asked him twice now to let us in on the secret... So far it remains a Unicorn. IOW, it doesn't exist.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall, the original question was about the price of used RVs.To address that question, I bought a 2008 Arctic Fox in 2012. Last fall, I saw the same year, make and model advertised for $5,000 more than I paid for mine in 2012.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
big_jeff wrote:
My $5.00 worth, up from .02...

Inflation adjusted I see.......:B:B:B

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, once again, the fence post has replied and another thread has derailed.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I also was looking, but for a truck camper. Found one that I liked, had all my "wants".
Drove about 1000 miles to pick it up. Price was right, I'll bet that prices will only go up. I see nothing coming down in the foreseeable future. My $5.00 worth, up from .02...

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I still have the money, invested and paying me nicely, I can pay off the loan anytime I feel itโ€™s a losing proposition to keep it. Your money on the other hand is now long gone and stopped paying you anything the minute you gave it to the dealer.
What are you investing in that pays so much with zero risk? I want to get in on it.

Is your RV perfect? Risk-free? Probably not.

Yes, you still have money left, but that wasn't his point. His money works for him and he used someone else's money to buy his RV. Risk is relative.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II