cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to expect

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am new here and new to RV world and...new to this forum. Please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly. I have been a truck camper/horse camper for many years so I have some knowledge but we are purchasing a new travel trailer and I am unsure what to expect as far as additional purchases.
It seems that the unit does not include a sewer hose, any information on what is best would be appreciated.
We will be picking up our new Forest River Sonoma on Saturday...pretty excited.
20 REPLIES 20

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
You're likely to get a good reply and list here, but I'm to lazy to make you a list, and no longer have mine.

But...I made my list by looking at Youtube videos about trailering. Not only do you learn a lot about what you'll be doing in terms of towing, setting up camp, and so on, you'll learn a lot about what items you'll need. We were very successful using this approach. We ended up with a mountain of stuff from Amazon and a couple other sources, and I can say that nothing we got was inappropriate or the wrong thing.

Poke around, do an internet search, etc., and you'll probably find a couple of lists, or a forum thread on the same subject.

There were a few items we had on our list that we weren't sure if we'd really need, but we've slowly added them as we've discovered that yes, we need them.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Only one day in and the thing I am loving most is seeing my husband get energized with planning what he will do to personalize and streamline "his " areas. He used to love to tinker, build and create and I haven't seen him this interested in a while. I am very thankful. My kitchen and interior nesting pales in comparison to his joy.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are singing my song with the wine opener and other fun stuff. We picked up the trailer today and I am so thrilled with it. I have tons of stuff from my years of camping with the horses and am loading it all up. We did have to buy chocks and leveler blocks. We keep the trailer in a secure compound (not far away and it is secure to the max, has free dump stations and wash stations for $100. per year) so I don't really get to play with it at my leisure but I plan to practice camping and get it loaded up in front of our house for the next few days..pretty doggone fun

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
bottle opener & corkscrew

Oh, hell yeah. You got that right!
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

We use our old pots, and pans. Well in fact. We didn't have to buy anything extra for the inside of the TT. We already had it.

We did the same thing when we got our Pop-Up. By the time we got our 3rd travel trailer our priorities have changed completely.

Our travel trailer is our vacation resort. Andd really, apart from television and few minor hobby crafts around the house, it's our basic entertainment too. It's our dream castle, our home-away-from-home, even when parked in the driveway. It's our "love shack", our private domain, our "other world", our break from the harsh realities of job, family, and world chaos.

So, somewhere along the line, the priorities changed, and we started replacing all the "old" stuff with brand new, and the "old" found it's way in the house! Really! We have good blankets, good sheets, good towels, good dishes, good pots and pans, nice cups, wine glasses, electric coffee pot, everything ... first rate as "first rate" can get within our budget.

Once the item begins to wear, or we need something in the house, we snatch it from the camper, and then replace "new" in the camper. Yea, we keep the camper VERY SPECIAL... only the best as we can afford. And that makes the camper and using the camper even more special!

Maybe that's why we live in it, even in the drive way, all Summer long when not on the road! This is our domain, and no one invades it! It's special! And "special" gets only the "best!"

Something to think about?

I can see that. And in truth. We did spring for a VERY nice grill for the camper. however. We still just use the camper for our vacations, and keep it special by never cooking in it. We do all our cooking out side, and don't need a whole bunch of pots, and pans. Am thinking of getting a new campstove that will connect to the same propane tank as the grill.

Plus as you mention. The best thing about having the TT at home. If any thing in the house breaks. We just run out to the TT and get a replacement. Over the years. The TT has been outfitted with almost every thing the house has, maybe more.

Like you however. When we started. The pups, and now the TT didn't get the best stuff. Upgraded as the years went by
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

We use our old pots, and pans. Well in fact. We didn't have to buy anything extra for the inside of the TT. We already had it.

We did the same thing when we got our Pop-Up. By the time we got our 3rd travel trailer our priorities have changed completely.

Our travel trailer is our vacation resort. Andd really, apart from television and few minor hobby crafts around the house, it's our basic entertainment too. It's our dream castle, our home-away-from-home, even when parked in the driveway. It's our "love shack", our private domain, our "other world", our break from the harsh realities of job, family, and world chaos.

So, somewhere along the line, the priorities changed, and we started replacing all the "old" stuff with brand new, and the "old" found it's way in the house! Really! We have good blankets, good sheets, good towels, good dishes, good pots and pans, nice cups, wine glasses, electric coffee pot, everything ... first rate as "first rate" can get within our budget.

Once the item begins to wear, or we need something in the house, we snatch it from the camper, and then replace "new" in the camper. Yea, we keep the camper VERY SPECIAL... only the best as we can afford. And that makes the camper and using the camper even more special!

Maybe that's why we live in it, even in the drive way, all Summer long when not on the road! This is our domain, and no one invades it! It's special! And "special" gets only the "best!"

Something to think about?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A starter kit isn't really helpful anyway. We got a 4-pack of RV toilet paper and a super cheap sewer hose (gee, wow). We gave the hose away. 😞

The things mentioned by others will get you going or are a should-have (like the EMS). Many things are what you figure out along the way. Some are things you see in an online catalog or in an RV parts store that you just gotta have.

You *could* survive without these but am sure you're you going to want them sooner than later: BBQ, folding camping chairs, outdoor mat, regulator (if on city water), filter(s), road maps (if travelling around), some basic hand tools. There's probably a few more.

Don't forget the basic necessities on the first trip out like toothbrush, coffee cup, soap and kitchen utensils (BTDT). In the longer run, there's all kinds of great/cool stuff you can get like an RV GPS, memory foam mattress, stabilizing struts for the stabilizer jacks, laptop & mobile mifi hotspot and much more...

Tip of the day: Do NOT buy RV toilet paper with it's mafia-inspired pricing. There are numerous household brands that disintegrate in water and are the same thing. We use Costco Kirkland brand.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rangerjean wrote:
I have been a truck camper/horse camper for many years so I have some knowledge but we are purchasing a new travel trailer and I am unsure what to expect as far as additional purchases.

Initially you need whatever it takes to safely Park & Power your trailer for the manner in which you intend to use it. That means -

* a method of leveling the trailer side-to-side

* a means of safely chocking it so it can't shift once disconnected from the tow vehicle

* a means of feeding it fresh water, whether connected to an on-site water tap or one near your site, or whether you have to go collect it elsewhere in the campground and later transfer it into the trailer's fresh water holding tank

* a means of off loading waste water, both while you're still camping and later when you're leaving and want to empty those waste tanks at the campground dump station

* a sufficient means to power the trailer, whether you're on a site offering shore power or whether you're running on battery. That may mean additional main service cable so you can reach the campground power post or when dry camping sufficient battery reserve to get you through your anticipated stay without excessively depleting the battery or batteries.

Beyond that about the only "must have" I personally would recommend is a poly weave under awning ground mat so you're not tracking dirt / sand into the camper. Anything else can wait, acquired only as you find you might actually use it.

Pics of my own solutions are in my gallery. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
bottle opener & corkscrew

x2 LOL
my wine bottles have screw caps.

if "we" means husband and wife agree ahead of time before setting up TT at campsite that no matter how mad you get at each other during setup ,,,and four letter words flow freely, never go to bed mad.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
All you absolutely HAVE to have is sewer hose, water hose, Leveling blocks, and wheel chocks. The electric cord is supplied. And EVERYTHING else is optional. You will find lots of stuff you want, and you will find LOTS of things you already have in your house you can use in the TT. Like extra sheets, pillows, silverware, Towels, and things like that.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Might consider a bottle jack.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, keep ALL your previous camping items from the horse trailer and see what works on the new camper. Then replace with new a little at a time as needed because of wear and tear.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I think I am going to love it here. So much good advice and the best is about attitude and humor. Having camped with horses for years I know about humor. Although I will miss my thousand pound camp friends, I know it will be much easier just caring for those of us with two legs. Thanks you guys

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ohhh, I have this exact post already for you:
First Trip Essentials
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page