Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats this leaking hose?

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm new to full timing. I've had my TT about 6 wks.

I noticed this hose (see pic) had a slow drip. No mention of it in the manual and I'm on city water. (Fresh water tank is empty)

About a week ago it became a steady stream. Its fresh water. I disconnect ed the water and left for a biz trip. Upon return it's OK with a slow drip again.

Trailer is a 2012 Crossroads Zinger 27RL.

The house is a LONG way from the hot water heater and the water pump which is off.

This trailer has 2 water inputs - 1x for fresh and 1x city water.

2nd question if you're still reading, is what adapter can I get to fill the fresh tank from a regular (drinkable cert) water hose?

Many thanks in advance.

You should be able to view the pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/I25iFW3RoGDXUvzI3

Chris.
18 REPLIES 18

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,

Well the filler tube for my fresh water tank showed up and as many of you guessed, I was able to confirm that it IS a drain for the fresh water tank.

The second water was put in, it came out. So, I ordered a Pex valve for it which should be here any day.

As for why it's dripping, I opened up my plumbing cabinet and there is some sort of cross over in the system and that seems to be how water is making its way into the fresh water tank.

I'm to sure if it was designed this way, or if the previous owner decided to plumb the pump into the City water feed.

Thanks for the help!!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That blue pex pipe looks to be a gender changer, male-male instead of the female fitting it's attached to. It may have been used to connect a garden hose to drain the fresh water system or as an auxiliary outside water supply.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Fritz_H
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Saw a pic on another site of a similar hose with a cap. It was for freshwater drain. So, I suspect you (and those who said that) are correct.. and it's just missing the cap.

Mike

My money is on that. My 2014 Denali has no valves on the end of the drains (my '08 Jayco had valves), just caps, and the hoses look like yours. I bought PVC ball valves at Lowes to put on mine.
Randy
Olympia, WA
2014 Dutchmen Denali 2371RB
pulled by a 2008 Ford F250 XLT Supercab
2007 Shelby GT
1985 VW Vanagon GL

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If your check valve in the pump has failed as previously mentioned as a possibility and you cap the blue line the tank will fill up over a couple days or more and begin to flow out through the tank vent at the tank fill cap and run down the side of the trailer. As long as it is just a trickle you are probably okay. If it stops trickling and continues the fill the tank then you may rupture your tank. The previous owner may have known the fresh water was leaking back through the tank and left the cap off so the tank wouldn't fill. You may need to repair or replace the pump if it is back filling the tank.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw a pic on another site of a similar hose with a cap. It was for freshwater drain. So, I suspect you (and those who said that) are correct.. and it's just missing the cap.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

chrisp222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I'm going to try and find a cap for it.

The hose is quite small, smaller than a garden hose. Possibly 1/2 in.

I'm also going to toss some water in the fresh water tank and see if it leaks out right away. My gut feel is that it will, and that this is for draining the freshwater tank.

Chris.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I cut off one end of an old fresh water hose, longer than the commercial kind, also cheaper.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT, the commercial RV fill nozzle was too short and water would back out the port. I cut one end off a washing machine supply hose and it works very well. It also has a secure attachment so you dont have to worry about dropping the hose in the tank.

Norm
F1BNorm

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank isn't pressurized, so I wouldn't expect that a leak would become a steady stream. Unless, the check valve in the pump is leaking and the fresh tank is getting back-filled.

But it's a drain, either for the fresh tank or low point of the pressurized system. Some have valves - see if there's a cabinet or access panel above where it pokes out. Others are supposed to have screw on caps to seal them closed - your's may have fallen off - it looks like there's thread tape there, but no cap. I'm assuming the leak is coming out of the end of that blue hose, not leaking through a fitting. If a cap is missing, it's almost certainly a fresh tank drain - water would be gushing out if it were pressurized.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I looks like a drain line to me. Perhaps the prior owner had it parked where it was permanently connected to a sewer. Any chance it is directly below the toilet?
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Not sure what the blue hose in your pic is. I don't think it's a low point drain, since there doesn't appear to be a valve on it. Looks like it has a threaded hose connection end. My initial reaction was a black tank flush connection.

Mike

X2: My guess also.

Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is fresh tank drain. Put some water in your fresh tank and see if it comes out
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris, is that blue and black thick hose the hose that's dripping or flowing water ?

If so, i have never seen anything like that and can only assume that it's something that was fabricated to drain water faster, plumbed into the low point drains or freshwater tank drain.
Its large to improve the flow for faster emptying . If that's the case, then I would look for a petcock attached to it, maybe inside the trailer somewhere . I would think it's open or partially open. I would start looking inside the trailer directly above that tube.

Pour water down the sink drains and see if that blue/black hose is attached to the drain system. Maybe someone did a by-pass of the grey water tank for whatever reason.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what the blue hose in your pic is. I don't think it's a low point drain, since there doesn't appear to be a valve on it. Looks like it has a threaded hose connection end. My initial reaction was a black tank flush connection.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS