cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you throw in the towel?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1. It tows like a dream and only has 115k miles on it. The problem? It's age is starting to take it's toll. In addition to having to replace head gaskets earlier this spring, we are recurrently running into the impacts of 14 years of salt exposure in the northern winters. In the past 12 months we've had to replace the rear AC lines, the gear shifter and cable, and on a July trip the front brake lines blew (the rear are ok, but will soon need to be done).

We now have all of that work done, plus brakes and tires that are only a couple of years (maybe 15-20k miles) old. Our local shop says it is worth limping along with it, and I have felt ok still putting money into it, but DW is getting increasingly frustrated and we are finding ourselves running into surprise repairs more and more often (to the tune of some $4,000 this year alone).

When have you all decided to throw it in? What is your litmus test?
33 REPLIES 33

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
When the cost of repairs or required repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle its time.
Don't put a $2000.00 transmission in a $1,500.00 vehicle.
There is a point where the expression don't put good money into a bad thing applies.
My last truck had 300K on it and was pretty much worn out, although it ran fine I was avoiding a couple of required repairs.
Rather than make those repairs I opted to trade the truck in while it still had minimal life in it and put that repair money into a new vehicle.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
"Our local shop says it is worth limping along with it" This to me sounds like your shop owner sees dollar signs every time you walk in the door. If you get rid of it now you might still get a few dollars for it. If you wait you will get a lot less if anything and will put a lot more into it.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If it doesn't rust away.....it's always cheaper to fix than replace.

Red is 29 years old and I've had to put some cash into her lately...clutch, alternator, replace AC, pwr window motors and locks. I've decided that I will keep her and "upgrade" everything. Dana 80 rear axle, new springs, BIG engine, new trans, completely rebuild the front end. It will probably cost me 10 or 12 grand, and she will be brand new when I'm done for far cheaper than replacing, and it will be EXACTLY how I want it. 😉

But then I'm able to do 95% of that work myself....
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

GW_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
When I have to pay for the same major repair a second time, time is up.
Brant and Sylvia
2019 Ford F250
2015 Cedar Creek 38CK

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Great deals on Ford Expeditions right now.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Six years ago I traded a 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 and 4.10. No rust, but repair costs were going up. In my case I was able to replace with a vehicle that reduced my gas bill 33%. That helped offset the cost. Preferred driving the new rig too.

Good luck to you,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Another question no one has asked is what type of vehicle do you want to replace it with. Your trailer loaded to go, is likely over 9,000 lbs, not too many SUV's anymore tow that well.
If you don't want a truck that could sway the decision.
If the idea of a extended cab pickup is seen as beneficial in other ways, then that too could sway the decision.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
I would suggest you listen intently to what the DW has to say in this matter.

This x2.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest you listen intently to what the DW has to say in this matter. What you describe is a well used, long in the tooth, rust bucket. I’m sure she doesn’t really like driving in it. It is clear to me that you don’t have to buy brand new to improve your lot.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would use the extent of cancer (rust) as the determining factor. Get a second opinion at a good body shop. Pretty much all of the mechanical things can be renewed, and you have one that parts are easy to obtain and reasonably priced. For example; stainless steel brake line kits are often used for replacement here in PA for a fair price.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a 2002 Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0, and it is at 231,000 miles that I bought new. I'm kinda in the same boat wondering at what point do I bite the bullet and buy a new one.

So far the ol truck seems to be holding up well. I've had to do water pumps, fuel pump, rear main seal. But honestly over the last 5 years other than tires and oil changes I've put maybe $3000 into it. At that rate its cheaper to keep it. Although the new Rams with the 6.4 and 8spd are calling my name 🙂
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personal deal. My brother spent 13 years of part time work getting the Suburban he uses to pull his TT with built to suit him. And in that time, the money he spent on it, plus what he spent on the 'burbs he was driving, he could of traded for new every 4-5 years. He would not be happy driving the new vehicles. But he does all the work himself, and knows he will be able to fix what he needs to, has fixed all the rust, and doesn't drive it if streets might get salted...
Bet he is near Branson now.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
We have a 2006 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1. It tows like a dream and only has 115k miles on it. The problem? It's age is starting to take it's toll. In addition to having to replace head gaskets earlier this spring, we are recurrently running into the impacts of 14 years of salt exposure in the northern winters. In the past 12 months we've had to replace the rear AC lines, the gear shifter and cable, and on a July trip the front brake lines blew (the rear are ok, but will soon need to be done).

We now have all of that work done, plus brakes and tires that are only a couple of years (maybe 15-20k miles) old. Our local shop says it is worth limping along with it, and I have felt ok still putting money into it, but DW is getting increasingly frustrated and we are finding ourselves running into surprise repairs more and more often (to the tune of some $4,000 this year alone).

When have you all decided to throw it in? What is your litmus test?

When it starts costing more than it is worth. that is when you trade it. seems you are past that. If you can afford to. unload it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figure out what it would cost to buy a new truck and what it has cost (per year) to keep the old one going. When the cost of repairs is equal to about 70% of the new cost, it's time.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no set time that I replace my tuck. I kept my 2011 F350 for 5 years and my 2016 for about a year and a half. If the right deal comes along I'd be willing to replace my 2017 with a 2020. More than likely the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you keep for 20 years.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5