cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where's the 2020 Ram HD?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago give take a few months I bought my 17 2500HD, that was 2016.

Other than stuff from trade shows not seeing anything official from the Italians.

Things running late this year?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
49 REPLIES 49

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Iโ€™m sure at some point you reach dimensioning returns. But it isnโ€™t going from 6 to 8 gears.

Did you see the Ike run GM 10 speed against RAM 6 speed? Sure didnโ€™t shine from what I saw.

The problem is you are basing your analysis on one specific test. In the real world vehicles must perform in a much broader range of scenarios. Just like the phrase you donโ€™t race on a dyno holds true here. Every trip or hill you drive is not pedal to the floor and see how it goes.

Well said... The 10 speed will have more options to select the right gear for the engines power band over various load and terrain situations.

Having said that one could say the 10 speed allowed the Duramax with less torque than the Cummins to equal it's performance up the Ike.

UH why not state FACTS here. RAM 6 tires and heavier.

My analysis is based on my personal experience. Also some of what I have seem.

The GM should have smoked the RAM plain and simple.

And if it had you would have Ditched that the Ram had more tires and was heavier so it was predetermined that the Dmax was first up the hill, which it was anyway, even if it was by a couple seconds. They will weigh them down and see what happens.

We have a winner. Under the test parameters, both trucks were able to pretty much achieve a "perfect score".
How so? Well, that pull is right at 8 miles. And the trucks are not allowed to exceed 60 MPH. So a perfect score would be 8.00 minutes, right? No.
They do not start the timer with the trucks @ 60 MPH. They do it from a 30MPH roll.
This will add time.. It is impossible to say just how much time from the info given.
But it will add time.
Both trucks had areas where they were able to exceed 60 MPH, but they were held back from doing so.

Hopefully in upcoming tests, they will have better matched trucks, and either take the 60 MPH restriction off, or load them up more.

12V is just gonna have to gnash his teeth till then.

It will be interesting to see his response, if his beloved Ram loses then.
Only then can a true winner be determined.

Going for more popcorn now.:B

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Iโ€™m sure at some point you reach dimensioning returns. But it isnโ€™t going from 6 to 8 gears.

Did you see the Ike run GM 10 speed against RAM 6 speed? Sure didnโ€™t shine from what I saw.

The problem is you are basing your analysis on one specific test. In the real world vehicles must perform in a much broader range of scenarios. Just like the phrase you donโ€™t race on a dyno holds true here. Every trip or hill you drive is not pedal to the floor and see how it goes.

Well said... The 10 speed will have more options to select the right gear for the engines power band over various load and terrain situations.

Having said that one could say the 10 speed allowed the Duramax with less torque than the Cummins to equal it's performance up the Ike.

And if it had you would have Ditched that the Ram had more tires and was heavier so it was predetermined that the Dmax was first up the hill, which it was anyway, even if it was by a couple seconds. They will weigh them down and see what happens.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Uhhh, who gives a schitt.
I just watched my first Ike towing video ever. Kinda under whelming. Guys wouldn't stfu....anyway, both trucks were identical up the hill straight across tie I think.
Makes sense, litle bigger truck, 10% more tq, little smaller truck little less tq. And they both hammered up the hill at the same speed.

What did I miss?

Worst part of it is I want to live THERE again!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have nothing against more gears. I think in a gasser that makes sense.

I simply look at my truck shifting there isn't much space between gears as far as RPM's. Stays right in the power band. So time will tell.

My 01 Sport would be great if I had the 6 speed stick for more even spacing but I gave up on that quest! Compromise will be to change to 4.10's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Sure did. Thatโ€™s the one where they donโ€™t chart the MPG right? And also donโ€™t talk much about the driving experience.

Iโ€™m not sure if you have driven some of the newer 8 or 10 speed trucks but I have. And in those experiences, it is much better than a vehicle with less cogs.

Maybe number of gears doesnโ€™t matter on Ike. Maybe it does. We wonโ€™t really know until they test the same truck with 6 vs 8/10.

I pull that route a half dozen times per year. It takes around 10 minutes per time, as youโ€™ve seen in the video. I think itโ€™s crazy to make a decision on what you are going to buy based on that test - especially considering the vast majority of the population doesnโ€™t drive that route.

Knowing your history, I have no doubt that two years from now once RAM has stepped up and added gears you will be touting it as the โ€œbest transmissionโ€. And Iโ€™m sure it will be โ€œmedium dutyโ€. :W
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Is there some change between the 2019 and 2020? The local ram dealer has the new body style chassis cabs in stock.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
On my AISIN when going thru the gears it's always in the power band. So far with the test between the RAM and GM the extra gears did not help them any.

8-10, why not 12???

Love folks who are so defensive and passionate about their trucks.....
Fwiw, never said it didnโ€™t get the job done with a 6 speed. Itโ€™s a vast improvement over the previous models 4 speed auto which was useless as teats on a boar behind the Cummins.

Love folks who claim to know that I am being defensive. Just stating my observation and my experience.

Agree there was a huge improvement going from a NOT evenly spaced 4 speed to an evenly spaced 6 speed.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
On my AISIN when going thru the gears it's always in the power band. So far with the test between the RAM and GM the extra gears did not help them any.

8-10, why not 12???

Love folks who are so defensive and passionate about their trucks.....
Fwiw, never said it didnโ€™t get the job done with a 6 speed. Itโ€™s a vast improvement over the previous models 4 speed auto which was useless as teats on a boar behind the Cummins.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
It is easier to tune for efficiency, power and emissions in a narrower power band. Having more gears allows you to narrow the engine's operating range to do just that. At some point, the number of gears and shift points results in diminishing returns and can actually hurt performance - If you look at the large Class 8's, many of them now operate with fewer gears than in past years.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

8-10, why not 12???