cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to mount a TV?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Before this turns into "I don't need a TV, I'm camping!" versus "I can't go without a TV" thread... I'm just looking for some advice from others on what solutions they have done in their camper.

Our Bigfoot Camper's default TV cabinet was repurposed as another storage cabinet. It wasn't really a good fit anyway since it was designed for a small CRT boob tube and with modern LCDs would have been a waste of space. We have had the camper for nearly 5 years now without a TV so it isn't something we have missed much to say the least. If we want to watch something we typically just use our phones but that can get uncomfortable if you are sharing a movie with two people.

With the possibility of doing more road trips then camping I've been thinking it might be nice to have something a little more hands free. About the only place I can see to put a screen is if it is a ceiling mounted flip down screen in the overhead bed area. The thing is, it has to be very low profile to work effectively and not be in the way.

Any suggestions on products or pictures to show how you have placed a TV in your camper without it being in the way?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
16 REPLIES 16

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me, I just attached the arm to a stud in the camper wall at the foot of the bed (We only use the tv-tv while laying down, for streaming stuff else where we use a laptop or tablet, it uses the HD HomeRun streaming tuner for broadcast/cable TV stuff.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
mike/kellie wrote:
This is a 4 dollar shower curtain under the slide using a projector. How about 1 degree of separation....Kevin Bacon in the movie Tremors being watched where it was filmed. AKA Alabama Hills

Ruffing it! My kind of camping!!!! 🙂

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
My previous 2002 BF 9.6 had the same dinette and tv cabinet as your BF 10.6. I never changed any wiring in the tv cabinet, just plugged in connectors for coax & power. Ran cables rearward thru overhead cabinets then installed an elec & coax outlet bottom side of overhead cabinets at shower wall. Beefed up rear dinette shower wall with 1/2" plywood and mounted tv there. Could watch tv from front seat of dinette or see from bed.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a 4 dollar shower curtain under the slide using a projector. How about 1 degree of separation....Kevin Bacon in the movie Tremors being watched where it was filmed. AKA Alabama Hills

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Bedlam
My Host has an external TV bay with 24" TV/DVD.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody put a detachable mount on the outside of the camper to watch tv under the awning?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wall mounted mine to the side of the cabinet next to the dinette. Since I use the dinette as a couch I can lay on the dinette and watch tv or watch from up in the bed.

It was just a little 17" flatscreen.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Definitely mount your TV to an articulated arm so the angle can be adjusted for your seating or laying positions. As Jim pointed out, mounting the TV near the cabover will limit you watching from only half of your booth dinette. If you have couch arrangement, you have more space.

I used a 22" TV/DVD combo in my Arctic Fox and could have fit a 27" in the available space. I mounted a swing arm on a left side cabover closet wall and stored the TV against the left bedside window/wall. This is where AF would have mounted their TV, but would have not folded it the wall for transport. I used a longer arm mount and larger TV, so I also ran larger and more lag screws through the stock AF backing board. I used an AC powered TV though a 300w inverter rather than DC and also used the power to charge laptops and other devices.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a cable connection for my TV, but I do not stay in RV parks and campgrounds with cable. I also have a batwing but I am not interested because of limited or no channels in remote areas and I cannot stand the constant ads.

I have settled on a 17" laptop for either streaming services or more common just pre-recorded content on CD/DVD discs. I have a U shaped dinette that works great with the laptop on my Lagun mounted table. Of course, I can also watch outside with the laptop on a folding table.

jameo
Explorer
Explorer
It is really diffcult to analyse and decide which place would perform best for me, I was dealing with same as I bought new projector. I was thinking where should hang my projectorr and get best results. This post may help as it helped me to get great results.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Removeable-TV mounting bracket

We used one of these in our conversion van, for a 15" TV. We kept the TV in a cushioned spot off the mount while traveling; simply lifted it into the articulated mounting bracket when we wanted to watch. It could be mounted almost anywhere there's a vertical surface.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You can purchase a small TV that weighs ounces now. You can mount them to cabinet doors, using an articulating arm, lots and lots of possibilities. In our fifth wheel, we mounted a ceiling flip-up mount in our underbelly that worked great with a 32" TV.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have mounted flatscreen tvs to sides of cabinets with swivel articulating arm and still be able to access cabinet. Did the same for a cabinet where a tube tv had been installed, except mounted swing arm within cabinet and it layed perfectly flush. In both cases, while going down the road we simple popped it off arm removing a single thumb knob and laid it on the bed or couch.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer