Where to put water pump

Debbiepowers
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again,

Silly question but long story short I bought a gutted RV that
was designed for city hookups, no tanks of any kind. I have
gotten to the stage where I am going to install the plumbing
and do not know where in the system my water pump should go. I have well water. Does a garden hose provide enough pressure since the well has a pump or should I put a pump somewhere between the water heater and the shower / sink? Don't worry I am on my own unregulated land and the shower /sink will only be used with non toxic 100% organic soaps and run out to a gravel bed run off.
6 REPLIES 6

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Debbiepowers wrote:
Don't worry I am on my own unregulated land and the shower /sink will only be used with non toxic 100% organic soaps and run out to a gravel bed run off.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but most places do not allow dumping of gray water. If you're in Rhode Island, here is a document I found which states that Rhode Island does not allow it. http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/water/isdsregs.pdf I don't believe it matters whether you own the land or not, or where it's located.

I'm not saying you won't get away with it, but if someone finds out about it, you could be in trouble. Is there a septic tank on the premises you could connect to? Or, if you could at least make it look like it's dumping into a cleanout with the dry well under the surface, it probably wouldn't draw any attention.

The other thing I'm curious about is that I've never heard of ANY motorized RV that was designed without tanks of any kind. Seems odd. If it was me and you were going to move the thing, I'd just install fresh, gray & black water tanks and plumb to them. Or is this a different RV than then one you mentioned in this thread?

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you have a pressure tank on the well you should be fine with just a well.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You need a pump only if you plan on installing a fresh water holding tank. The pump will then only pump from that tank, not the ground water source or garden hose.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
About half of the country gets by just fine using a well pump.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 you don,t need a pump. if the garden hose shoots out a good stream. lok on your house pump tank there might be a gauge .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
How much pressure does your well pump supply? You should not need an RV pump unless you are installing some sort of water tank in the trailer. Normally a RV pump is installed just after the fresh water tank.

If unsure of well pump pressure, how far does it squirt out the end of the garden hose? If just dribbling out, that is not enough. If shooting out 3-6 feet, it should work. If lots of pressure, you may need to add a regulator.

Jerry