cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which years of Outdoors RV's had corrugated siding?

Nailknot85
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I'm wanting to buy an Outdoors RV bunk model in the 24-26 foot range and recently saw that they were made with corrugated siding until 2012 but I'm not sure when they started being made like that.

Am I wrong in thinking that corrugated siding is much more maintenance friendly? From what I have seen bonded fibreglass walls are guaranteed to delaminate eventually no matter who makes them and **** if that isn't a difficult and beyond economical repair. I have no problem with any other maintenance on a TT, hell I'll replace the roof membrane when I have to but properly fixing delaminated sidewalls is a real bear to do.

I was originally looking at new ORV's specifically the 23dbs but they are not cheap, and are they even built as good as they used to be?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4

Nailknot85
Explorer
Explorer
Good points from all, thanks for the insight.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't owned a fiberglass sided RV yet, but that will likely change with my next one. The aluminum siding on my 2004 trailer has held up well except as pointed out that it is susceptible to dents and punctures. I've used aluminum tape on a couple stab wounds from branches. My trailer lives outside year round and sealing the windows and edges has not been a burden. I did it once when the trailer was new, then again after about 5 years. The decals are peeling here and there, and the door is a little yellowed, but overall it's sound. Now, in its 18th year, It needs it again around the front running lights, but the rest still looks pretty good. I expect with a little TLC, a fiberglass RV would perform similarly. I believe the key is immediate preventive maintenance upon purchase. JMHO
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TT was corrugated aluminum sided. Agree with all the points that carringb made and will add that keeping it clean was a nightmare. The siding oxidizes and the only thing that removed it was Meguires Cleaner wax. The wax would wear off and oxidation would begin again.

Maybe look at units a few years old - at least to see how they are holding up.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
They offered the Black Trail with corrugate siding through 2014 I think.

Corrugated aluminum is not lower maintenance. No way would I ever consider getting another trailer with it. Our Jayco had it. My ORV doesn't (my Weekend Warrior was also fiberglass).

The aluminum siding is prone to dents, holes, and tears when dragging it off-road. Caulking doesn't last neat as long because there's so much more body movement. The body isn't near as stiff. The Jayco had to have its curbside wall rebuilt because the framing failed. Composite structures are just stronger and more durable.

The stuff I've put my ORV through is pretty impressive. I don't think ORV has cut any corners design-wise recently, but they've likely has more issues like everybody as they try to crank out as many as possible with a reduced labor-force.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST