cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who actually enjoys towing?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Me personally, I really enjoy that part of a trip. I like to hear my truck work, and I have a standard, so that makes it more of an interactive experience. I canโ€™t stop fiddling with things, so every trip I think about something new I want to try, or something to add to the truck. I just added an EGT and boost gauge and new tires to my truck, so this trip will be about what temps I am actually running, and to see how the new tires do; maybe before my next trip I will install a tuner.

So for those of you that enjoy that part of a trip, what do you enjoy most?
58 REPLIES 58

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan, a Tesla will eat the tuned V8 for lunch.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely like towing. Enjoyed the 7900+ mile trip to California and return, and I had a less capable 2005 F150 w/ 5.4L Triton.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
I'm another that enjoys the ride.

X2... Heck I even enjoy the preparation/packing phase as well.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Wife loves the sound of our exaust break, she feels everything is under control as if she has given up control of her passenger fathom passenger floorboard break and surrendered to the exhaust break. Puts her at complete ease. So much so, I'm looking for a CD of exhaust break noise to play in continue loop.:C
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another that enjoys the ride.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love to drive, and I love to tow. driving is just what I do. I also love the sound of a V8 working. The purr at highway speed. The deep growl under load up the mountain. Love to hear it wind out thru the gears.

some day. I would really really like to some day. Go where I could just let it wind thru all 6 gears, or at least the first 5, and see what it would do. I'm thinkin it would be well over 100 MPH before it came out of 5th. But I'll never know.

Having said all that. You can see, There are no electric cars in my future. Unless they can make them run, and sound like a well tuned V8 with Flow Masters.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting that I have not heard of this discussed before, but it's true that, for me, towing the fifth-wheel is a definite pleasure. The extra alertness and awareness that are needed at all times have the effect of enhancing the enjoyment of driving.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Going from A to B without any problems and then going from B to A without any problems.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
Overall I enjoy the drive. I have backed down a lot from my younger days when it was "just get there as quick as possible." I have learned to slow down,relax, and try to keep it under 300 miles a day. Still don't like going through major metro areas, but I try to time it to miss the rush hours.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nah, love motorcycling, but towing is a chore to be done until we get where we're going. Kind of like driving a car, just another chore.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love towing. I really enjoy it. So much so that Iโ€™m putting a hitch on my Fusion so that I can tow a small utility trailer.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
I too enjoy the trip and the driving and letting the trucks do their work.
it's all a part of the RVing package.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what I am towing with on whether or not I am enjoying it. I never enjoyed it all too much when my foot was to the floor not going anywhere fast with the engine screaming at 5k rpms and the transmission constantly shifting. Especially if I was stuck behind a big truck on the two lane roads around here because I don't have enough power to pass.

It is much more enjoyable in a truck that can pull at lower rpms with a little more throttle when needed.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I love towing a trailer or driving a motorhome... whichever I have at the time.. I enjoy the scenery and driving as much as the destination.