cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who drives? Him or her?

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. My wife and I are getting back into traveling by trailer after being out of it for over a decade, and in our case, I'll probably be doing all the driving and backing.

We got a pair of walkie-talkies, and are finding that they make us a much better backing team. With the exception of one close call with a very sneaky tree.

It's been our experience that my wife and I have vastly different skill sets in general, so we complement each other well.

It just happens that my vehicle handling comes to me naturally, be it a sailboat, motorcycle, or a truck and trailer rig. Is it safe (PC) to call it pretty much a guy thing? As a guy, raised in the 50's and 60's, I see vehicle handling as something I have to be competent at. Plus, I'm interested in it.

I'd be happy if my wife could pilot the rig half the time, but it's not where here skill or interest lies.

So what's the setup in your family unit? Who drives? Curious too, if the non-driver is the planner/navigator.
44 REPLIES 44

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I got her to tow a 14' boat down a 45 mph two lane road, by convincing her that she might need to get us home if something happened to me. She even practiced backing...did a fairly good job.

Now, bigger truck, more blind spots, harder to see around a TT, than a boat. She doesn't like to drive the truck...Towing the trailer is out of the question.

EDIT: I want to point out that the wife and SIL took our pop-up on a journey. My wife does take a interest on the set-up/break-down procedures. I have come home to find the truck hooked to the trailer..WDH/sway bars, all done properly. OF COURSE she says "make sure you check it".

I think she could DO IT...she just chooses to let me do it.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Him..............can't convince her!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I drive the Excursion with the trailer and the Wife drives the Suzuki.

JWeaverCMA
Explorer
Explorer
I drive the majority of the time. We have little ones so we try to keep the mileage between 200 and 300 miles per day so everyone can stretch their legs for extended periods at rest stops. I'm new to towing and so is my wife, but so far so good. I drive most of the time but have her do a bit too when the roads are smooth and empty.

I hitch up but have her help so we can both double check stuff when it comes time to hit the road. I usually set up the outside (chairs, play pen, stabilizers, unhitching) and she gets the interior ready. We both try to play separate roles as it helps get camp set up faster when little ones don't want to wait.

SheDrives
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Since I do not like to ride and she likes to knit, tat lace, crochet or quilt while I drive; I drive about 90 percent of the time.
That's the way it is in our family. Hubby doesn't know how to entertain himself if he isn't driving, so I only get to drive when he's really tired or if he's having problems with his allergies making his eye water. We're just now buying a TT, and I intend to get my share of driving and backing time until I'm completely comfortable and then he can monopolize if he wishes.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I do all the driving. Only time my wife drives is when she is alone. I do the majority of the planning and navigating. She pulls her weight in other areas. 🙂

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
siamese wrote:
So what's the setup in your family unit? Who drives? Curious too, if the non-driver is the planner/navigator.

My wife and I split the driving. I like to work while she drives.

She's the navigator regardless of who is driving.

I'm the trip planner.

For backing in, she sees it better than I do. She'll tell me which way the tail of the trailer has to go in order to get into the spot where we want it but I'll be at the wheel. If she is backing in (which has only been 2-3 times), it's my job to shut up and tell her if she's going to hit something.

All told, I love our 50/50 split. She also dumps + flushes the tanks most of the time.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
If we are in my truck I drive if in her car she drives

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
To add to my prior post, my wife can and likes to drive the truck on it's own..

She drives for hours at a time on long road trips with just the truck.. She likes driving it! But, it's mine. Ha, ha!

Anyway, tried to get her to drive it with the trailer and she didn't want to.. Didn't press any farther with it..

I have had her do the hitch setup, so at least she knows how to do that if it comes down to it and she has said that she'll just do what she needs to do if it comes to it....

So there you go..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I drive most of the time when we're not towing, and DW likes it this way. I tow 100% of the time while towing. She wants no part of pulling the trailer around.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We share the driving but I do most of the navigating and trip planning. Both of us can (and have) driven and set-up the RV by ourselves. Usually for set-up and take-down DH does the outside and I do the inside. Then we do a checklist for both. Our dearest friends RV'ed into their 90's and we hope to do the same. lizzie

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a woman, and I've been towing something since I was 16, starting with a two horse trailer. DH and I started camping in 1997, and I do all the towing and backing, because I'm used to it and enjoy driving. My husband enjoys riding and reading. We've had everything from a popup to a big fifth wheel over the years.

Once we get parked, disconnected, and leveled on a site, DH takes care of the outside setup, and I take care of the inside.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
When I was married, I let my husband do all the driving and backing while I guided him. Now that I'm divorced, it's either me do it all, or no longer go camping, so here i am!

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a solo lady. I do all of the driving, backing, and everything else.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H