cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's hitting the road this summer?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
With all of the virus stuff, I am certain we are all tired of being stuck at home by now. I've been stir crazy for months now and ready to hot the road. In the midst of planning my own summer time road trip with the family, I've been wondering what type of crowds I should expect at National Parks and campgrounds. My initial thought was it would be a low traffic season with people wanting to avoid others but I've started to hear some rumours that places are already very busy after reopening.

So, how many of you are looking at traveling this summer and what changes are you making because of the virus / restrictions?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
75 REPLIES 75

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Just finished a 3,000 mile trip down the Alcan Highway from Eagle River AK to southern Idaho. I had to go through the Canadian Customs travel restrictions proving why it was an essential trip and not make any unnecessary stops except to gas and sleeping in roadside pullouts (provincial campgrounds were closed to Americans).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my trips were return trips that we booked a year ago, covid canceled my April & May trips. June, July & Aug we either did some long weekend and one 9 day trip.

Sept were doing a return trip to Cape Cod with the exception that I booked to late for my favorite campground to get a reservation. So now were going to take a chance on a corporate owned campground, hoping for the best as the reviews are so so.

Oct were heading to Trap Pond State Park, DE and then onto Assateague State Park, MD

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My friend went camping to Yosemite couple weeks ago and had hard time to make it back as roads closed due to fires.
What else will disrupt our life this year?
A big one?

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what direction to go to be safe...so just going to park on the Susquehana river and watch the water flow by. Safe travels

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have gone 5 times for short trips, longest was 2 weeks. Leaving tomorrow for a few days----I just stay away from people as much as possible.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Headed out this morning for Stateline Mining District in south western Utah.

Far West ATV Trail System to Stateline Mining Ghost Town - Iron County Utah

This is where I'm headed. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Seminoe Joe wrote:
Heading up to Wyoming In September for a week or so to camp and fish at Glendo and Seminoe reservoirs. I havenโ€™t had the camper out in over 3.5 years so Iโ€™m reeeeeeally looking forward to it. Iโ€™ll post a trip report and a more formal intro then.

That's a long time. Have a great trip.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading up to Wyoming In September for a week or so to camp and fish at Glendo and Seminoe reservoirs. I havenโ€™t had the camper out in over 3.5 years so Iโ€™m reeeeeeally looking forward to it. Iโ€™ll post a trip report and a more formal intro then.
โ€œItโ€™s all in the reflexes.โ€
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
kenzmad wrote:
Headed out this coming weekend. 8 days in Montana. First night is planned, Yaak river road. No other plans. May stay one night, maybe a week? Just gotta be home the following weekend.

Itโ€™s really dry over here. Do keep track of where the fires are.

Love Yaak River.. Heading that way...
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
On the road now for more than 2 weeks.. a long way from Alabama and Florida.. Just left Montana forest service .. "Jimmy Joe" CG- Wonderful by the way and roaming around Montana NF. Ahhh...

First service for a post in a while.. ahhhh
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
kenzmad wrote:
Headed out this coming weekend. 8 days in Montana. First night is planned, Yaak river road. No other plans. May stay one night, maybe a week? Just gotta be home the following weekend.

Itโ€™s really dry over here. Do keep track of where the fires are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

kenzmad
Explorer
Explorer
1999 f350 cc psd long bed 4x4 with banks stinger. 3 guage pod,kwik intake,wicked wheel,ccv mod,BTS tranny, vision 19.5s,toyo m608s,rancho 9000, slotted and crossdrilled rotors, 2006 S&S 9.5fbsc

Lyuluck
Explorer
Explorer
Stay home in sizzling summer and the nearby shopping malls are in a short supply of food and paper. No can do. The forest and the river are calling me. Itโ€™s time to pack out for a trip. There seems to be some issue with the air conditioning refrigeration. Thank God, it was finally solved yesterday. Still in checking the date and destination for camping.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We have different definition of fuels