cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will my trailer fit in this space?

tgruninger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Looking for a bit of some advice here from RV parking experts. We are looking to purchase a 26ft travel trailer and would like to park it on our parking pad next to the house that was made for a Class B or C motor home. We have done some scale models to test and it seems like a tight squeeze to the pad between the shed and the side of the garage. We will have access to a motorized dolly (AC6). The dealer will not let us borrow the trailer to test it out...does anyone have any thoughts based on the pictures attached or ideas on how we could help ourselves be more confident on whether or not this is doable? It seems like it will fit but not sure...any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2QU6_o0tCPvPFSn8MJ5o8mTPXoE_pDJ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B4r37q8WxPtLDZTu-OcTJZ6mLixB9fRx/view?usp=sharing
22 REPLIES 22

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
If your garage is attached to the main house I would recommend checking with zoning.

I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever willingly invite the government to give me advice on where my trailer can go...

Odds look good that you'll clip one of the buildings eventually. If moving or replacing the shed is an option, you might want to consider that. Building a new shed will be cheaper than replacing the side of a laminated wall trailer.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
With a front hitch, it can be done with no problem.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get it in place mark the pavement with masking tape on either side of the wheels. It will help you the subsequent time.
I have a side space in my hangar. I had big hopes of parking my TT in there. It was a toss up of opinions from the hangar rats. I knew it was going to be a tight fit. What i didnt account for was the possibility of being slightly angled. Got it in, dinged the TT on the way out. Now the TT resides in my driveway and i have the side space in the hangar back for plane tools, lol.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Have to laugh here, didn't realize so many were in my shoes.

I've hit the house once attempting by myself so now will only try with wife.....it's also slow motion pulling trailer out.

Staying relaxed is key.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If your garage is attached to the main house I would recommend checking with zoning.

There is usually a minimum distance that has to be maintained between the garage and trailer. If the trailer is inhabited by a relative or anyone in the family the required distance increases. The zoning inspectors look for a sewer, water or power hooked up.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it might fit. Do yourself a favor. Every time you get it in there without damaging something, put $50 in a coffee can. That way you'll have a good start for when you do tear up your house roof, gutter, shed and or the camper.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
I have a similar setup. I've been doing it for 16 years now. It's gotten easier and quicker, though still not a piece of cake. I think with a mover dolly it should be simple.

As someone else mentioned, you could round off that roof corner. We had that done. Just a 45 degree cut that removed about 18" of the corner.
I did that with a truck at a place I worked years ago. Quite unintentionally of course. :S :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
How often are you planning on using the trailer? If it's only a few times a year it might not be too bad. but if you're going camping every month or so, backing into that tight spot is going to get old quick. I have 4 or 5 ft of space to play with when I back in my trailer, and it still takes a few tries most of the time. And even a small bit of damage from hitting one side or another could add up to an expensive repair.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar setup. I've been doing it for 16 years now. It's gotten easier and quicker, though still not a piece of cake. I think with a mover dolly it should be simple.

As someone else mentioned, you could round off that roof corner. We had that done. Just a 45 degree cut that removed about 18" of the corner. It still looks good too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar set up, plus our driveway to backyard was a couple hundred feet long. The first few times backing in with virtually no clearance on either side took a couple hours. No joke!! After a few trips we had it down to 30 minutes. We had to go soooo slowly making constant corrections. If I knew how to post a photo I would. I stood behind the backup camera and used hand signals. Our roof gutter on the house has a few dents as a souvenir to our early attempts. No damage to the fiver.
Good luck, just takes a lot of,practice.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
What happens if you just leave it right where your outline is, doesn't look like it'll be in the way of the garage, or the shed door, doesn't look like you can go back much more before turning, without hitting the neighbors house.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
A hitch on the front of your tow vehicle might save your marriage.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
To make it even easier you can get a powered trailer dolly mover. That will make it easy to get it into the spot.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you could move the shed just a foot or so, it would make quite a difference. I would also modify the rain gutter on the house so it comes to a point, yes it will miss some rain. Likewise, I would trim the shed roof corner.