cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter Camping??

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
One of the nice things about our Tiger is that it is very comfortable in cold weather. We are in New York State, visiting family and want to extend our trip to include some regional tourism. Trick is, that every campsite that we can find, both state and private, seems to be closed until May. 😞

Being completely self contained, we don't need hookups, but we do need a legal place to park for the night. Anyone got any ideas? Is there some code we have not cracked. I really don't want to simply have to resort to using hotels.

I realize that this is not, strictly speaking, a truck camper issue, but, in my experience, truck campers are more likely to be using their campers in cold weather than some other folk. (Be gentle, we are new to camping in the US.)
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

21 REPLIES 21

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I've asked local LEO's that I've seen at the local diner's, where I could park for the night, and was always directed to a lot close by, never have they told me you can't do it in my town.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Luckily, it's Spring now. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Small update: Found our first night's stay at a Harvest Host location. (Even has airplanes!)

Appreciate everyone's replies.
DiploStrat

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
I can only attest to the upper Mid-west area, and unknown if either of the planned trips so far intend to venture this far over.

There are state campgrounds likely available for the full year, although a power hook up may be the only amenity available during the so called non-camping winter months.

Further NW of me, in western North Dakota, everything commercial is full of folks living full time in their RV's because of the Bakken oil shale boom there. However, the aforementioned state parks should still be available in those same areas.

Once one gets north of say a Sioux Falls - Rapid City South Dakota line, or north of I-90, very few commercial campgrounds stay open, save for those already mentioned with Bakken traffic.

South of the line, I know places like the KOA in North Sioux City South Dakota is open all year long.

Best of luck and hope all have a great trip.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
wellesley Island state park and Jacque Cartier are open all ear
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a good look at the resources above and there is some good stuff here. As far as overnight camping or stealth camping goes, in any season, here is a great resource for your files:
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/BoondockingNiteCamping.htm
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I have only had two times i can rememebr that I was asked to move. Both at Walmart...1. Security guard asked me to move as I was to close to the inbound night truck access, he even showned me a much better spot...2. Once in OR at a Walmart and it was because they didn't own the parking lot, but was dirested to another Wally about 4 miles away with much better parking. All the rest of my parking has never been questioned. Doe pay attention to where it says no overnight parking. One port facility had that here in WA, no problem the front street was all RV's by late evening, regular party so to speak.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I question you being hassled in most cities for parking 8 to 10 hours. The trick is to not give the appearance of camping. In California, it is not legal to tow a vehicle with occupants inside. So, you will not wake up going down the road behind a tow truck. For the most part, this is one of those areas that getting forgiven is much easier than getting permission. My wife has problems with being told we have to move, I do not. Fact is, we have never been told we have to move.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
CG's open 4 season northeast

How about Camping World lots . It would be funny to get kicked out of Camping world , you were simply obeying the sign.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Diplo! Always good to see you posting here. I received a text message that you were asking a question. When I read your message (twice) I see that the message is more about what campgrounds are in fact, open. If you need to get some tips on Stealth Camping, off the grid, in temps below 20*F I can certainly make some suggestions. (Temps above 25*F you should be perfectly fine)

There is an article on, Stealth Camping, coming out in Truck Camping Magazine in a couple of weeks. It will have many good tips, I guess young people call them "Hacks" now, but it won't help you here, now.

Looks like you are getting some good suggestions on campgrounds from the great group in this forum. I am the last person to give advice or suggestions in campgrounds, as I just used up my quota for campgrounds for 2015.

Enjoy the Northeast and stay warm!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Good call! We, too, are Harvest Host members! Thank you for the reminder.
DiploStrat

Beachcampers
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in upstate NY and we use Harvest Hosts. Check
them out at www.harvesthosts.com We think that it's a terrific camping option, especially in the off season.

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Got it:

-- Woodall's, and,

-- Pink paint.

Roger. WILCO.

Interesting, Allstays doesn't seem to offer a year 'round filter. Possibly something they should add.

Many thanks to all!
DiploStrat

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diplo...PM me...

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella