cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterize before doing plumbing repair?

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Since summer is over (sob) I will be doing some repair work on a soft spot on the bathroom floor. I suspect I have a leaky toilet so will be removing this and pulling back the lino to inspect the damage. Depending on the amount of work and my available time, there is a real possibility of not completing by the time cold weather hits (mid-Oct where I live). So I was thinking it be best to get the antifreeze into the lines first as I will not be able to do this later if the new toilet is not reattached by then. I would have some pink, sticky stuff to deal with during the toilet removal but at least the remaining lines will be safe from freezing, even if some of the antifreeze 'escapes' when I unattach the toilet intake.

Am I correct in assuming that the lines don't need to be full of antifreeze as long as there is no water present (i.e. the antifreeze removes the water when I pump it through the lines)?

I will probably have lots more questions once I start this project but for now, any advice on the winterizing idea is appreciated.

Howie
6 REPLIES 6

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to the OPs question, if you can drain all the water you would have no problems.

Since I cannot guarantee that I have removed all the water from every nook and cranny I use the pink stuff.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
for the $5-10 it costs, I would do a proper winterizing since we get some harsh weather unexpectedly. Better to have "pink" stuff dripping on you than other stuff so hit the dump....flush tanks repeatedly then do your repairs. If time gets away from you then all they water systems are safe.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea everyone. I realize that some people just blow out the lines, but not owning a compressor and living in a colder climate, never really considered that option. It is not uncommon for winter temps to reach -40 where I live so wasn't sure if no antifreeze was a workable solution.

Howie

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
And if you don't have a compressor you can use a vacuum to suck them dry. The pipes only burst if there is water sufficient to fill the pipe so it can expand and burst. A half filled pipe is almost a happy pipe. Don't forget the traps.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
Why not winterize by blowing out the lines. If you do it carefully and correctly you can have it both ways....no plumbing damage due to weather and no "sticky" pink stuff.

I have never pumped anti-freeze through our lines and have never had any freeze damage....winters dip into teens at times, 20's not uncommon.

X2.
I haven't used AF in years and never will again.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Why not winterize by blowing out the lines. If you do it carefully and correctly you can have it both ways....no plumbing damage due to weather and no "sticky" pink stuff.

I have never pumped anti-freeze through our lines and have never had any freeze damage....winters dip into teens at times, 20's not uncommon.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro