cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing unit (picture of water heater)

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Starcraft ar one maxx 19bhle

Opened side panel outside and found this. Want to winterize but doesn't look anything like other heaters I have seen online or in videos. The backside is under the bunk. Not sure if I need to remove that part to access the rest.
18 REPLIES 18

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info. I feel much more informed now about my plumbing system.

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
this cool thing called Google found your owners manual.......

https://starcraftrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2016-Autumn-Ridge.pdf

Since I don't have that trailer, Google obviously didn't work for you. I downloaded the manual for my trailer. However, it's written for tons of different trailers so the information isn't very specific.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"Is turning off the heater from the control switches (next to water pump) enough or do I have to turn off the breaker."
I would rather be extra safe and turn off the breaker, maybe 10 seconds to do.
The temp/pressure relief valve is in the upper right area of the heater.
It's the brass body fixture with the open end. It has the blue collar on it and the lever is raised to slightly more than 90 degrees. Some say don't use it, others say open and close periodically, to give the air pocket. IF it leaks after being opened, just open and close a couple of times. If it ever fails, just go to a hardware store, box store, Lowes, Home Depot etc, as opposed to an RV store. same item either place but the cost $.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your bypass valve is in the first picture. It is the one with the blue collar around the bottom. If the pressure were to build in your HW tank to a dangerous level this valve opens and steam/water would exit. When you are draining your tank, remove the white nylon nut and the water will glug, glug out. If you open the pressure relief valve it will flow out quickly.

As far as your bypass valves go, from your picture, the cold water enters the tank from the bottom line. The valve in this line should be turned parallel to the line to allow the water to enter. As it heats it will leave through the top line. If the valve in this line is parallel to the line it will flow out of the HW tank and on to the faucets beyond. The valve you see IN BETWEEN the cold and hot lines is the bypass valve. When operating you want this valve closed. Turn it perpendicular to the line it is in. YOu want the cold coming in and the hot leaving without the chance of them mixing in the middle somewhere.

When you winterize you need to drain the HW tank and then turn the top and bottom valves perpendicular to the lines so no water can get into or out of the tank. Make sure you turn the bypass valve to be parallel to the line it is in. So, think about it, if water gets into the cold water line it will flow toward the tank but then turn and go out the hot water line. No water in the HW tank as it is now "bypassed".
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
this cool thing called Google found your owners manual.......

https://starcraftrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2016-Autumn-Ridge.pdf
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turning off the control switch should do the trick.
This is your T&P valve.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just the control switch is enough, but let it cool if water is hot. In your large pic the relief valve is to the upper right. You will see the blue circle, with the attached relief lever. It needs to be lifted for water to exit the spout.

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the valves that go to the water heater, turn on the other one that goes between the two pipes.

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
That white 'nut' is actually a nylon drain plug, use a 1" socket to remove, then open the pressure relief valve and it will drain the water heater. Important have city water disconnected/turned off and water pump turned off as well as turning off the heater controls, gas and electric (if equipped). Also water temp should be cool.

Bypassing the heater for winterization is done on the inside of the RV, behind the heater. One or three valve system.

Ken

If you don't relieve the pressure, before removing the plug, you will have an unexpected shower. plus the plug comes out much easier.

Is turning off the heater from the control switches (next to water pump) enough or do I have to turn off the breaker.

Also curious where in my picture is the pressure relief (I know some people said hot faucet is enough but curious).

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Wasn't aware that my trailer had the bypass already installed and is accessed from under the bunk.

Here is a pick of the inside (just wanted to be 100 percent sure which valves are which for bypassing for the winter.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's an Atwood heater with a nylon drain plug. Let it cool off and turn off water pump. Open a hot side faucet in the RV to relieve pressure. Then remove that big plastic nut to drain the tank. You really don't need to open the pressure relief valve, it will still drain. While the tank is draining go inside and lift the bunk to access the back of the water heater. Set the valves to the bypass position to isolate the water heater tank.

Now go back outside and put the plug back in finger tight. Put the socket on the plug and give about a 1/12th turn. Picture the plug being a clock face and turn it from the 12:00 position to the 1:00 position. That's it, there is no need to go tighter unless it seeps or leaks. Honestly 1/12th is probably still turning it more than you have to.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to open the T&P valve and possibly have it leak after, just open a hot faucet to relieve pressure.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
...and if you don't relieve the pressure at the T&P valve at the top of the tank and the nylon plug is at face height when you take it off, will smack you right in the puss plus you get soaked....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB