cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you in colder climates would not winterize if your RV goes into heated storage the end of October and comes out the third week in March? I'm worried about a cold spell before it goes in or after when it comes out. Temps at night are normally just above freezing during those times with daytime temps in the 50's or so. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Winterizing your RV is not that hard.

How to winterize a travel trailer or RV water system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWrtaZr-jo
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I would winterize anyway just in case a storm or some other issue shut down the heating system in the storage facility. It takes a half hour or so to do it and the cost of RV antifreeze is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
In my RV the water lines are trapped in assembly running under floors and other objects. It would be very difficult to repair a fractured line. It is so much easier just to antifreeze it correctly. There are many much smarter people that would tell you that antifreeze is not necessary.
MM49

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Using RV antifreeze is very simple for winterizing an RV. It is very cheap - nowhere near 100$. I would not trust the water systems in my RV to someone's "heated" storage area.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
If temps stay just above freezing, nothing will freeze. That said, you're taking a chance; no guarantees it won't go below freezing. Typically temps need to stay below freezing for an extended period. What I've done when a cold snap hits is drain the lines, if possible, and/or leave the heat on lowest setting with cabinet doors open. I'm not suggesting you do this, just saying I've done it with mine during the time frames you're describing.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If it were me, no I would definitely not take the chance.

... Eric

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Because of my disability, I might have trouble with winterizing. What I want to know is, would you take the chance of not winterizing during those times mentioned when not in storage for the temps in my area that I mentioned. It will cost around $100 to winterize.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What happens if the heat stops working?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We keep it winterized from mid-October through the end of April unless we are down south. I left it one year unwinterized in early April after we returned from the south and the city water pipe leading into the trailer froze and split.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
for 5 bucks worth of non tox...why would you take a chance. easy to pump the non tox thru system...
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where you live.

I live in Western NY and the temps in March and April can be wicked. (ie in the teens)
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If I had storage with reliable heat, I would not wintertize.