cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiper blades

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Ford F-250 that I purchased March 2020 and the original wiper blades would scrape and shudder in light rain so I replaced them and then replaced the replacements. I’m wondering if this is one of those windshields that are a problem for wiper blades. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
18 REPLIES 18

beergardens
Explorer
Explorer
I was told years ago by the rep for a wiper manufacturer, that wiper blades were only designed to last for six months. I don’t tend to replace mine nearly that frequently, but I’ve still never found a brand of wiper that really impresses me.

beergardens
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

But still wondering what makes a particular model windshield “bad” for wipers ?

Some windshields have an angle or curve that is sharp enough that part of the blade will not be able to conform to it, so you’ll have a spot on the glass that the wiper passes over, but will never press firmly enough to it to clean it well.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I buy the cheapest blades I can find and replace them when they go bad. Anything over $5 for wiper blades is highway robbery.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
I 'lift' them off the glass often (whenever fueling up, checking oil, etc) and lay them down square to the glass so as to not have them bend

Bending long term & baked by the sun/heat sets them ant an angle and will shudder going against the grain so to speak

Try most new ones and always go back to refill type where you pull out the rubber squeeze & SS stiffening rods. Buy 'cut to fit' refills and replace often.

HATE shuddering wiper blades.

Some of the newer vehicles has a 'park'm straight' function. When the wiper system is turned off...they stop and backup a tiny bit to park them straight to the glass

Best washer fluid is 303 tablets to mix my own (and on trips, dry tablets and use fueling station water) and use an old laundry jug with a spigot. Make about 2.5 gallons and the no-spill jug-spigot works on all of my vehicles

Laid down on fender to not have to hold several pounds trying to aim it centered to the washer jug fill tube

Gotta loosen the other end to allow makup air to allow good flow
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
I honestly can't believe how well Bosch Icon blades work. I have them on all of my vehicles now. I recently bought a brand-new Mazda CX-5, and discovered that the wiper blades left streaks. I replaced the new OEM blades with Bosch Icon blades and the result was exactly how blades are supposed to work. Sure, they're expensive, but do your really want to save money on visibility?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m mostly trying to get a topic as inane as windshield wipers to 3 pages!

But still wondering what makes a particular model windshield “bad” for wipers ?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought some Michelin premium wipers for my truck thinking the expensive version would be an improvement. I thought I had something on the glass after the install. Cleaned and cleaned and they still ran terrible. Swapped them out for the cheaper Walmart Rain-X wipers and no issues now. Rain-X wipers for me, good price, good performance. The last set of cheap Anco wipers didn't last for me. Here in the heat of Alabama my wiper blades rarely go more than two years before they get really hard. Walmart has the best price I've seen.

I tried the cheaper Rain-X Hybrids this time and they work good. $10.98 for them and the $15.98 Latitude is more modern looking, they both work fine for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Expert-Fit-Hybrid-Windshield-Wiper-Blade-26-Replacement-H26/322544...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Latitude-Water-Repellency-24-2-IN-1-Windshield-Wiper-Blade/4654369...

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where do you buy Rain-X wipers??

I went to Rain-X site, put in truck data, it tells me which fits. Then, I hit the buy button and it tells me there are no Rain-X retailers or Online Sales of this wiper. Tried the Contact US button, write a note, but it will not send. Weird.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Can't say as if I've ever had that problem on past 3 Fords. My current '17 which was built in late '16, had orig blades on it for couple years. Yes, I've also applied Rain -X but haven't been diligent about keeping up w/ it. On the other hand, current blades are Rain-X ones. No problems. OP, are you buying good quality blades?

I tried the Michelin first, then Anco. I think before I buy another set I will try some of these suggestions, but Rainex will probably be the next set. 🙂
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say as if I've ever had that problem on past 3 Fords. My current '17 which was built in late '16, had orig blades on it for couple years. Yes, I've also applied Rain -X but haven't been diligent about keeping up w/ it. On the other hand, current blades are Rain-X ones. No problems. OP, are you buying good quality blades?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I use Protect all or 303 on the blades. Mine are outside all the time so they take a “set”. I just switch them from side to side a couple of times a year.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I use dawn dish soap to clean the windshield followed by application of a silicon car polish. Cleans the crud better than anything else I have used. As to rainex its ok but the silicone I find is much better as it seems to fill the glass imperfections making it very smooth and lasts longer than the rainex.

The use of microfibre towels is also needed instead of just any rag, Tshirt etc. The microfibre towels also work well with the polish to apply then wipe down. Dirt-dust will be removed just by turning on the wipers without the spray and a damp rag is all it takes to clean the windshield again.

FYI I used the above on school bus windows for over 10 years, they stayed cleaner longer even in Az heat and dry.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr Banks explains wiper blades in this link.
Wiper blades
Camped in every state

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, good advice. I don’t get the wax at the car wash and am diligent about wiping the wiper blades with window cleaner from time to time. I’m going to try the Rainex. Thanks!
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA