cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring 4 awg charging wire to upgrade 8 awg factory wire.

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Lance 825:
I am planning out the addition of a Renogy combination DC-DC/MPPT charger and 200 ah lithium. I think I need to run a 4awg from my truck battery (2016 F350) to the go where the ACR is now in the camper and cant figure out how/where to get the wire into the camper and routed to the right place. Currently the Lance plug and cable has only an 8 awg incoming, but somewhere it changes to a 4 awg inside, because I see a 4 awg connected to the battery side of the ACR. Any help?

And am I correct that I want the battery power connected to the same terminal as where it is on the ACR currently? If so, I may just drill a hole in the camper near the ACR area.
25 REPLIES 25

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
I believe Ford is still the only one with switched power at the trailer plug.

I was just thinking, there could be a condition where you're sitting in the Truck, key on, engine off, and the DC DC charger is pumping 30 amps from the truck battery back to the TC batteries. That could be a recipe for a dead battery. Quartzite has been a lot of fun. Truck Camper rally starts next week. Hope to see some RV.netters there.

Bedlam
I believe Ford is still the only one with switched power at the trailer plug.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well gosh darn. There were several good threads on this topic in the Truck Camper University section but many pictures have lost connection making it tough to use.
I used a 4 awg battery cable off the alternator and Negative off the Battery. I routed the wires down under the body along the frame rails inside split loom and zip tied to various points along the frame. I came up through between the inner and outer bed box panels and installed a 100 amp lift gate plug in the front left corner of the bed. I drilled a hole next to my 7 pin plug, converted from S&S 6 pin rectangle. I plug the lift gate for the connection and it works very well, mounts solidly. When you connect the DC DC charger, you don't want any other truck battery connection to the camper batteries. Charge with the DC DC only and nothing else. If you connect the stock wire to the TC batteries, you will be confusing the system with a different voltage and you don't want that. You can use the old wire for a trigger wire to the DC DC unit since it comes live with the key and will activate the DC DC charger.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I used 4 AWG and an Anderson connector Here's my project

Later I installed a Victron DC to DC Charger: Orion DC to DC Charger installation
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
You want to connect to the opposite terminal on the ACR from the one that goes to the batteries like I said earlier. But the easy way to figure it out is check continuity of the existing wiring.

Mine has 4 awg on both the line and load terminals - and yet, the wire from the truck is only 8awg. Odd.

But I am of the understanding that I should remove the ACR completely and replace it with this MPPT/DC-DC charger. If so, I would just move the load cables from the ACR to the charger and run a new 4 or 6 awg directly from the tuck battery straight to the line, or incoming, terminal on the charger. Am I misunderstanding?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You want to connect to the opposite terminal on the ACR from the one that goes to the batteries like I said earlier. But the easy way to figure it out is check continuity of the existing wiring.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LaneW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will check out the NAPA connectors That premade cable is way too expensive! I was originally looking for an Anderson connector and chassis mount receptacle but have not been able to find one yet that will take 4 awg cable. Will keep looking.

But am I right about where to connect? At the current ACR battery terminal?

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Go with an Anderson connector, minimum of 100A though the cost is about the same for a 175A connector. Upgrade to 2 awg and use welding cable as it will be flexible yet resistant to uv and oil. Find a place you can drill one or two holes through the camper exterior to where you want the truck side plug. Let the camper side just dangle with enough slack to where every you plan on solid mounting the truck side. Since my battery is in the back of my Lance 815, I mounted the truck side in my rear bumper and the camper side goes from the battery right out by the tail light. You will want the battery cable to go to a breaker than to the DC-DC charger which will then get hooked up to the battery.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Napa also has a premade cord as well, but I think its way too big for your needs.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PHI232326
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Napa has a 100 amp 2 wire Lift Gate Plug set you can use to add a heavy gauge umbilical between you camper and your truck.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PHI15326 - Outlet
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PHI15336 - Male Plug
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There has to be a line side wire on the ACR as well. Thats 8ga and 4ga coming out on the load side?
Either way, youโ€™d want to hook into the line side of the ACR, unless maybe there is a disconnect ahead of the wire going into the ACR.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold