cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Hope for This New GS Truck Camper Group?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

It's been a few weeks since the old forum was shut down and this new forum opened up, but I only see a few old members have joined and not really much for posts (20 total members as of the last few days).  I really liked all of the knowledgeable folks on the old forum who were so helpful with camper repairs and maintenance, but most didn't transition over.  I miss my daily morning reading on Good Sam, I guess Facebook camper pages are the future for now?

IMG_3798.jpg  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

42 REPLIES 42

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

I hate to be negative, but I absolutely hate this new format.  I'm sure there is a reason they went away from the old format, but this just doesn't work for me.  Who are the TC Forum Mods now?  Is Admin still around?

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

I am still the moderator here. Admin has retired and another moderator has taken some of that role. The main admin is now Evan who is an emoyee of Good Sam. Our tools as moderators are currently limited, but Evan is working on adding more. The old forum software was no longer practical to maintain and a new platform was chosen that has vendor support. Changes are coming but don't expect a return to the old format.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

I agree with you totally Brad.  It's confusing and less enticing.  I'm still trying to figure it out, after more than twenty years on the old forum.  Best bet is I'll probably find my way into a different forum, and quit wasting my time here.  

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ya, this is my 21st year here and I did feel the same way but take a look out there for truck campers, there are no other good forums.  laitly I have been getting use to this, the having to log on every time is a pane but oh well.  as well as some of the group name chanes have comfused and left out the DIY group as it implies its only for maintenance now instead of actualy making things for the RV, and the Tech section has been renamed to imply its only for problems so it hard to decide where to post things now

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Monkey44, yes, you have been on this forum as long as anyone I can think of.  My wife follows a truck camper and/or lance forum on Facebook.  I despise FB, so I have stayed away from it.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II

I was an old RV.NET user but have not kept up very well.  I agree, the old forum was full of knowledge and help.  I even contributed some but don't know if it was lost.  Anyway, the new forum has way too much white space and an amateur look to it.  My opinion.

2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

I agree the formatting makes it harder to read the threads.  Maybe they'll fix it.  I'll keep dropping by (probably every few weeks) to check.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

greenno1
Explorer II
Explorer II

I went to my setting as suggested and changed the format more for my liking.

Kinda odd as the "default" listed replies was different than any other website I had seen previously.

Now I need to check in my own settings if I can figure out a way to have the post's I event read yet be highlighted in some way as to be able to follow along a thread and just read the latest replies I haven't seen yet.

This site doesn't get alot of postings as far as truck camper's are concerned, but it's the same for most other sites as well that I peruse through.

Thanks to the other members who helped guide me to understand the changes I could make for my viewing and not torch me to ruins for not liking or agreeing to the default settings.

Maybe someone will post up a topic that we can all contribute to that's a benefit to us folks that do have campers.

Thanks again all.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

Lots of good points brought up!  It is the "off season" so yes, the forum always slows down which is to be expected, lets just hope it picks back up towards spring.  I figured out the sorting and number of threads/posts per page, but the one feature I miss most is the ability to go directly to the first unread post in a thread.  Currently I open a thread and then have to scroll to the bottom of each page, go to the next page, and then on the last page watch the posted dates to find out what is new.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

greenno1
Explorer II
Explorer II

The original first posting that comes up for me is dated 12-03-23 6:59am.

The very next reply is the LAST one in the thread dated 12-06-23 6:17pm.

Which means I have to scroll all the way to the bottom and follow the topic upward, 

Exactly opposite in chronological order as far as I can tell.

Any other site I participate in is much more user friendly, this is just my opinion, but that's what matters to me personally so ya got that.

I think the default order is that the original post appears at the top and if I am to draw any conclusion, the idea is that people will always be reminded about what the topic is about each time they come to the post. Then, the first actual post below the topic post is the newest post made by a member. That's how it works in my opinion. This might be one of the actual features I don't mind (though it does take a bit of an adjustment to get used to it). So often these threads go into rabbit holes that the original conversation is lost. That is kind of just human nature but at least folks will have a quick and easy way to see what the post is about each time they check in.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Oh... this is interesting! When you reply to someone else's post, it doesn't get inserted as the last post in the thread, at least with the default sort order. The reply appears after the post you replied to. That is interesting. In one sense, that is kind of nice but wow you gotta know that is what it is doing or your going to winder what happened to your post!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

@adamis wrote:

Oh... this is interesting! When you reply to someone else's post, it doesn't get inserted as the last post in the thread, at least with the default sort order. The reply appears after the post you replied to. That is interesting. In one sense, that is kind of nice but wow you gotta know that is what it is doing or your going to winder what happened to your post!

To insert the quote, you hit Reply and then click on the Quote Icon to actually insert the comment you are replying to in your post ( " it's the 5th icon from the left on the top of your new reply box).  It's an odd extra step, but it works for now.  Hopefully they can fix the software so insert quote is automatic.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB

@MORSNOW wrote:

Hopefully they can fix the software so insert quote is automatic.  

At the risk of being banned, from the comments I have seen by the Admins over in the Community Feedback section, I wouldn't hold my breath.  I have serious doubts about their software management abilities.

2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500