cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Hope for This New GS Truck Camper Group?

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

It's been a few weeks since the old forum was shut down and this new forum opened up, but I only see a few old members have joined and not really much for posts (20 total members as of the last few days).  I really liked all of the knowledgeable folks on the old forum who were so helpful with camper repairs and maintenance, but most didn't transition over.  I miss my daily morning reading on Good Sam, I guess Facebook camper pages are the future for now?

IMG_3798.jpg  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

42 REPLIES 42

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III

Personally I thought the old Truck camper forum was holding on by a thread for some time. The same people posted about the same thing over and over, occasionally a newbie would ask a question but the same responses from the same people, me included. For the most part I've lost my interest and was hoping to get to see some new blood here. It will take time...

@notsobigjoe wrote:

hoping to get to see some new blood here. It will take time...

to get that you have to get new people to buy truck campers then come here.  I don't know what TC's are like in the US but most dealers don't have them up here, and if they do they are so overpriced.  TC is a pretty limited purpose driven unit, I can tow a 40 foot 5th whith my truck but I am on the edge of what I can handle at the TC we are looking to upgrade to, so usaly a TC involves two purchases, the camper and the truck to handle it.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

this forum activity died off 3 weeks before the switch over.  over the last 4 years when I started paying atention to the truck camper forum I have found it is very seasonal, most people seam to put away their computer, at least for coming here, when they winterize their truck camper.  overall the whole forum slows down to a painfull pace during the winter.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

Thank you all for the reply's so far, there is a little light at the end of the tunnel for this forum, but it's not real bright for now.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II

I know I had an issue getting logged in and with the slow old forum it was just not a priority. If this is slower it will die a sad death m

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

adamis
Nomad
Nomad

I haven't been active on the old forums myself for a while due to kids and life. The only reason I posted at all was because I had posted about our Mini Truck Camper rally in March we are hosting and that got mixed up in the shuffle. A lot of folks have probably moved on to Facebook Groups which sucks in my opinion. FB Groups are just a cheap version of forums. Sure, you get easier methods of posting pictures and stuff but instead of a good detailed discussion about a topic, you end up with a couple of likes, a couple of one line comments and the post disappears.

If I had more time, I would due my best to be active in here to try to keep it going but I've got way too many things on my plate at the moment. Best advise I have is for those of you that are interested in keeping this group going, make an effort to be active daily. There is a limited window to grow the group and that will only happen if people see activity. If a handful of folks can commit to doing that regularly, the chances of this forum surviving and growing would be much better.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

srschang
Nomad
Nomad

Agreed.  At least on the old site I could count on a few posts each day.  Here there are many days in a row without a post.  I though maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but I guess not.  Disappointing.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

"A few?" The old Truck Camper forum had maybe 1-2 updated threads a day. More than that, and/or a new thread, was a banner day. 

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

I just took several minutes to write that these forums died down because a lot of people got tired of a few individuals that were trolls, knew everything, done everything and had done it better. That is much in part why I became inactive and probably will go back to being inactive. There are a lot of nice folks in the community but a few bad apples turned a lot of good folks away.

That's at least what I had written only to lose what I wrote when I clicked the "Reply" button after writing my post only to find out that I wasn't logged in (daily automatic loggout apparently). Clicking back to try to copy my post text so I didn't have to rewrite it takes me back but the text I had spent several minutes writing wasn't there to be copied. This is like the second or third time this has happened. Why are you showing a reply field if a user isn't logged in?

So... I see a lot of people will get tired of this new system. There is nothing that shows you are not logged in until you try to submit your post and then lose what you wrote. At least the old RV.net site it didn't log you out automatically and if by chance you were not logged in, you could click the back button and retrieve what you wrote.

It's like GoodSam is going everything they can to shoot this new platform in the foot for the few of us that are still around.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

In the upper right corner is a person icon. You can customize this icon from default so you can see whether you are logged in. When I post a message on my Android or Windows systems using Firefox as their browsers, it prompts for login and posts what I have written. I do know the cookies are not persistent on this new forum, so that is why it does not remember you later.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Well stated...  the 'reply' situation and loggout is enough to stop anyone from even trying. 

Really not impressed.. it's a shame, but this forum has a very short window of getting it right to make it work.

Forums are tough these days.  Facebook, although heavily used by some, is a very fractured community.  I'm not the only one that has never used it...

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

adamis, you said it twice maybe, but said it right.  I'm already tired of 'logged out', and search hassles to see what's new, and having to search each link above the forum to find each category.  Waste a lot of time figuring out how and what I want to read.   I'm trying to hang in there, because I enjoy reading the posts in several different areas of interest, but if it continues to waste time 'not reading' but instead spend time clicking and searching - it won't keep me interested after twenty plus years.
Seems the "improvements' the tech writers build into websites and forums today are not improvements, but create roadblocks to content.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

I dislike the format here,. It's difficult to catch up with new posts, or old posts.  Not sure I'll bother with it if it remains as cumbersome as it first appears.  I'm not tech-smart, and don't want to learn another entire method to gather information I need - or spread information on subject I know about.  A member since 2002, I'll probably delete myself, or just ignore it.  I've enjoyed RV.net over twenty-years ... this site is a bit of a headache to find info.  Keep moving and clicking and can't see the entire menu as before.   ๐Ÿ˜ž

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic