cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avion truck camper rebuild

austinsailor
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at the thread on rebuilding the Avion that was in the flood. Somewhere in the 400+ pages of posts there might have been a link to my rebuild but I didn’t have the patience to look all through it. So, I’ll post it here, there might be a tidbit to help someone.

We used it for 15+ years and finally got rid of it when my wife was having difficulties getting in and out of the high bunk.

The Avion page:
http://www.austinsailor.net/camper/avion.html

I now have a Palamino Wind River on.an F550 chassis cab 4 wheel drive, on a custom bed with service type boxes on the sides.

I just bought a Peterbilt 385, I will move the Palamino and custom bed over to that.

5 REPLIES 5

austinsailor
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Why the Peterbilt? Are you planning on towing something else? Seems a bit of overkill for the Palomino.

Towing the boat in the center picture. Boat and trailer weigh about 23,000 lbs, 40,000+ for the whole rig. F550 pulls it ok. Stopping, especially in traffic, has a big pucker factor.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Why the Peterbilt? Are you planning on towing something else? Seems a bit of overkill for the Palomino.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to following along.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

austinsailor
Explorer
Explorer
For now, leave it as is. The frame is just right for the truck camper. I am having the top modified. The tractor was built to car hauler specs, but never used as one. Changing tops gives me another 7" of clearance and brings the camper below the 13'6" limit.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
That will be an interesting build! Is your plan to shorten the tractor frame and remove an axle, or leave it as is?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3