cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without going into too much painful detail, we had a mishap several week-ends ago. While working with sand bag crews on the Mississippi River, the truck and camper fell into the flood waters as a road collapsed. Because of a number of issues dealing with the wrecker truck, we had to release the camper as the truck was reeled up over the bank. The good news is that the truck is as good as new after a thorough rinsing, inspection of brakes, etc. The bad news is that the camper was thoroughly drowned. A lot of people had far worse trouble than we did, so we consider ourselves lucky. The floods are ongoing as I write.

Our planned trip to Montana in June is called off. heh.

However, I have now convinced my dear Jane that its time to really update the TC. After drying for several days we pulled out the interior. Amazingly the Zolatone paint that I had applied last year is good as new after a cleaning.

Without burdening the TC family overmuch, I'd like to ask some advice other than don't park too near a flood :-).

My DW was overjoyed that I had a plan for the bathroom: a composting toilet developed by Nature's Head http://www.natureshead.net/. Our holding tank was practically unusable and there was no real grey water tank on the 67 Avion. Our plan is to rip out the bathroom and install one of these and converting the blackwater to a greywater tank. Any experience with this?

Finally, the roof. I admit that I have not really done the work I should have. Now, I need to remove the various sealants on the roof and repair it. We are also setting up for a solar installation. Any advice as to this?

Here's hoping I have posted the pictures correctly. And many thanks in advance for your advice.
4,347 REPLIES 4,347

69cayo
Explorer
Explorer
rastaman33609 wrote:
Today as I was pulling out with the camper on the truck,to pack for my maiden trip, It seems that the shade canopy snagged the open louver window and broke the brackets that hinge the frame of the lower of the 3 windows.

has anyone found a source for a replacement window assembly for theses windows or a parts source

Dave, if you can't find new you could try Waltrip up around Gainesville.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Waltrip+Used+RV+Sales+formerly+Bob's+Used+RV+parts/@29.8547886,-82...

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
67avion wrote:
I think that the plug in for Firefox is working???? its hard to believe, but so far its working. I'm going to go back further and see....

ITS ALIVE!!!!! I dont know how this is happening and what life support is required, but the photos are back. I'm assuming that Photobucket will take note of this and pull it all down again. Does anyone have any ideas how to capture this while its still working????

Dunno, but I'll start archiving.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cajunavion
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!
Glad to see workarounds abound! You know we are mirrored across the internet Woodalls site for instance. There are many others, including Googles database. I must say, this embed is the most elegant.
I use sitesucker to vacuum websites, there are others. Just type in the website and hiw many levels you wish it to pull and it will download them complete with working links into a indexed PDF.
Careful, it takes time if the site is as large as ours. Also, if you pull more than one level it can easily become download the ENTIRE internet!!!!

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that the plug in for Firefox is working???? its hard to believe, but so far its working. I'm going to go back further and see....

ITS ALIVE!!!!! I dont know how this is happening and what life support is required, but the photos are back. I'm assuming that Photobucket will take note of this and pull it all down again. Does anyone have any ideas how to capture this while its still working????

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
For members using Chrome for internet viewing, now you have a fix that will allow to see the pictures with no problem. I just tried it and it works.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj

For Firefox fix that I did not try
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=api

Just confirmed the Chrome plug-in does work, except for images folks have deleted. If you wanted a quick way to be able to see the images, and to gradually fix yours without having to monkey around directly with the Photobucket website :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Today as I was pulling out with the camper on the truck,to pack for my maiden trip, It seems that the shade canopy snagged the open louver window and broke the brackets that hinge the frame of the lower of the 3 windows.

has anyone found a source for a replacement window assembly for theses windows or a parts source

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
79 Bruiser, I installed a Kwikset deadbolt above the factory installed door handle. It is keyed on both sides, making it impossible to open without a key. Even if the glass in the door was broken out, the door cannot be opened. The intruder would have to crawl thru the broken window frame, probably a disincentive to somebody looking for a bit of snatch and go thievery...
Because my inner door frame is 1.5" aluminum square tubing, I was able to fabricate an internal framework that the deadbolt (as well as the Avion door handle mechanism) fit neatly into. Working with the stock Avion wood framed, cardboard reinforced, aluminum skinned door, I'd suggest you rivet an aluminum plate - perhaps 6"x6" and 1/8" thick - on the inner and outer face of the door and set the deadbolt into that. It's then an easy matter to drill and file a hole in the aluminum jamb to accept the deadbolt when it's extended.
If pics hadn't become such an issue here, I'd post a couple of my install, but it's pretty straightforward.
Incidentally, in a untypically paranoid moment, I've considered installing a stout aluminum bar across the window horizontally at the middle of that window to reduce by half the size of the space an intruder would have to crawl through to get inside. Maybe at some point...
Good luck.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For members using Chrome for internet viewing, now you have a fix that will allow to see the pictures with no problem. I just tried it and it works.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj

For Firefox fix that I did not try
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=api

79_Bruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have advice on installing a deadbolt into the door? I have a residential door lock but am looking for a more secure solution.

rastaman33609
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone...just wanted to jump back in here (since we seem to be getting some activity) and let everyone know that I made it through Hurricane Irma. From my locations in Florida we dodged the bullet.

Wish I could offer help with the predicament we are in regarding this site..however I am computer illiterate. But would gladly participate in any new endeavor.

69Cayo, thanks for your wishes,(sent PM)

67Avion...I feel your pain...however as determined as this group is to fight with these Avion's I am sure we will be able to come up with a solution.....dont throw in the towel just yet ๐Ÿ™‚

Rasta

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
edit

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
edit

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
Okay D. Here's what I did (am doing) with Lil' Queeny.

On RV.net, at the header of any particular thread (thinking the Avion Thread here), where you can click reply, etc. - you can choose "print". But who wants to buy multiple reams of paper and use several decades of ink printing it out, right? But when your computer asks which printer you want to use, instead of paper, choose print to .pdf file. This alone provides the thread backup onto your computer, or to wherever.

It seems the web site makes one file up to a certain number of pages in the thread (I've had 3-4 pagers make a single file, but my 12 pager went to twelve files). Because once it reaches that certain number, it splits the print job into the same number of .pdf files, as pages in the thread.

Anyway, that's a way to get your digital text (and pictures, if they are viewable - that's why I'm reloading SOME of my pictures into the thread through Imgur), from "here, to there".

Maybe you can choose "page range", and cut and paste the more important parts of the overall Avion thread, at least the text, or reload those pertinent pics first before printing, and save multiple pages of the thread into chunks that can be categorized and transferred to your new site as a clickable .pdf file with logical file names, e.g. Cajun's New Bathroom, Ticki's Front Bunk, Gary's Winter Plowing, etc.

That is to say until Adobe stops making Acrobat Reader Free. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My best to your process!

I just tested pulling this page's data using power query(now get and transform data) in Excel. I could probably pull all of the text and URLs from any given thread and put it in a database. It would require additional cleanup but it's possible to get it.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been here for awhile since work is getting most of my time lately...
This week I loaded up the camper and was pretty scared it was going to collapse. The two front legs are sinking into the wings and the rear two are also moving when there is pressure or tension. When loaded they pull the other way. So I will need to reinforce the jack plates and wings before I take the camper off again...
Tonight I am taking the kids camping, though they are more young adult than kids anymore. Two HS Sophomores and a HS Senior. And all right around the 6 ft mark... ๐Ÿ˜‰

So hopefully I can find time before the weather gets any worse to repair the jack mounts and wings till I can do what Dave did, and removed all the wood tub and wings and replace with Aluminum...

I would gladly contribute on a new website, as I have been around since the inception of this thread, and too would hate to lose an avenue to convey ideas and share reports etc.

I look forward to further ideas, and hopefully a possible solution.

V/R
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
edit