cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generator to truck camper

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda EU2000 I when using it to power my Bigfoot 2500 9-6 Do I need to use my surge protector like to do when Connected to a campground electrical pedestal?
Thank you
26 REPLIES 26

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
FireGuard wrote:
A little off topic but does anyone know of a generator like the Honda 2000 that is diesel powered?

No. Defeats the purpose. Diesel engines tend to be bigger & heavier for the same HP (aka: wattage) output.

These little generators are intended to be small and light.

If you are worried about gummed up carbs, look into propane adapters.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
FireGuard wrote:
A little off topic but does anyone know of a generator like the Honda 2000 that is diesel powered?

Just curious, while we are on the tangent, why do you want a diesel generator? Generally speaking diesels are louder and more expensive than gasoline, and the electronics of the Honda 2000/2200 are first rate. Also, Hondas easy to run an external tank.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I have seen some 4kw diesels for marine use and some Chinese portable models that are smaller but nothing like the 2kw Honda gas model.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
I am no expert on it, but personally I do not use a surge protector between the same Honda and my TC. I usually only use the Honda to charge the TC and my AUX batteries as needed. (I don't have solar yet) I have used one of those little heaters, but rarely. Also I try to keep the Honda sheltered (at least the control panel) out of the rain, but I don't obsess about it. I am more concerned about keeping good ventilation to keep exhaust outside. And I never run it when sleeping, just never felt comfortable doing that. But being in PNW have never felt the need to run our AC overnight either. But that might change once retire and get to go desert camping!
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
no, and rain won't hurt that gen.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Generator wonโ€™t melt in the rain. Thatโ€™s only a rumor with some old RVers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need for a surge protector with an EU2000. Will shut down for overload before low voltage is encountered. Protector may not even work without a bonding plug to mimic the N-G bond.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are the only one on your gen vs 50 in the CG doing who know what in addition to poor CG maintenance, inadequate wiring, low voltage, etc, so no.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
. Thank you for the replies.
I was just curious Iโ€™m in the high country of Tucson Arizona itโ€™s been raining since 10:30 So I tarped the trailer to keep the rain off the generator to save on propane and use a little ceramic heater till bed time. I was just curious. The solar and lithium batteries Are doing just fine. I have done this numerous time I was just curious if the surge protector was necessary.
Current temperature in camper a nice warm 84.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't and have never heard of anyone doing that.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No but Iโ€™m sure there will be 5 pages of debating it including a couple Karens complaining about hypothetical generator noise and a few posts about if you had solar and a certain type of batteries you wouldnโ€™t need a generatorโ€ฆwhich will spawn an argument about battery types and capacitiesโ€ฆ.lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold