cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repo a Truck Camper???

DMJ8181
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2yo 2018 Travellite 770, I live in it full time (with other option) and still owe $11k. A stilt is falling off, step broke, shower and other things don't work. The thing is more or less totaled. I'm so tired of the endless repairs that I can't afford that I'm prepared to let my credit sink and tell the bank to come get it.
Can they even do that? It's sitting on the ground at the moment. Many Google searches have come up with NOTHING about repoing a truck camper that's on the ground. Also, a stilt isn't working and requires a specific tool to crank. Thanks.
67 REPLIES 67

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

This post was started JUNE 2021! It died AUGUST 2021!

The OP is long gone because he didn't get told what he wanted to hear. Enough of the self-righteous chest-pounding already! The horse, she is dead!

There are newer owners coming on all the time that will benefit from this info. There are more and more poorly built RVs today than ever and to express what a new owner he or she is getting into my be of some help.

If a topic is tired, which most news is, I skip it. Simple

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

This post was started JUNE 2021! It died AUGUST 2021!

The OP is long gone because he didn't get told what he wanted to hear. Enough of the self-righteous chest-pounding already! The horse, she is dead!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
You buy an rv it goes without saying you own the problems too and so you fix the thing better than new. The problems are there for you to learn how to deal with a challenge, to think and plan something thru before diving in and come out with flying colors. it is very rewarding.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it ever got repoed? Been awhile and OP hasnโ€™t been back.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Been in the repo business. Yes we can get it, with a roll back strap around it and winch it on the bed and down the road we go. Might take 5min at 3 in the am.

Hope you knocked first.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
covered wagon wrote:
Bought mine new and the first three years of ownership was fix and repair every weekend. I was vigilant, knowing eventually my camper would finally become a reliably built unit if I kept up the upgrades and repairs. Fixing and rebuilding areas of every aspect to build it for the long haul.

Had it for 19 years now and I know it's still better than a new rig. I literally took care of everything without an ounce of regret. Every problem became an opportunity and a wonderful challenge. I took some doing to get over how cheesy some of it was with my bad temper.LOL :B

Quality of the unit is irrelevant.

The OP agreed to borrow money and pay it back with interest. The RV is only tangentially related as a fall back position if the borrower fails to keep his end of the agreement.

So far the OP has not provided any reasoning why would should feel sympathy for his financial position when apparently, 2-3yrs ago he was in a good enough position to buy a brand new RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How do so many old dead threads keep getting pulled back to life?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Bought mine new and the first three years of ownership was fix and repair every weekend. I was vigilant, knowing eventually my camper would finally become a reliably built unit if I kept up the upgrades and repairs. Fixing and rebuilding areas of every aspect to build it for the long haul.

Had it for 19 years now and I know it's still better than a new rig. I literally took care of everything without an ounce of regret. Every problem became an opportunity and a wonderful challenge. I took some doing to get over how cheesy some of it was with my bad temper.LOL :B

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Been in the repo business. Yes we can get it, with a roll back strap around it and winch it on the bed and down the road we go. Might take 5min at 3 in the am. Now you just added $4-500 to what you owe. Where we were they had to hold it 30 days and normally would auction it off. Those things sell for hardly anything. Now you have added storage and the auction cost to what you still owe after deducting what they recovered at the sale. Lender will come after you for awhile then sell it to a collection outfit. The bank 9 chances out of 10 will write the loss off. The collection outfit will hound you for the rest of your life. BUT if you have any assets and the amount is enough the bank will attach everything you have. Best way out is make the payments.

I'm sorry I answered before you posted this, because how you describe it, is the cold hard truth. I had mentioned seeing the process firsthand after a relative got into financial trouble, and it was ugly. And you're right - the collection folks are vicious and will contact every single person connected to the repo-ee, no matter how unlikely the connection may be.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Yes, they can and will repo it. They hire a repo company and they won't care if your personal property is in it or not. They won't care if they damage it or not. They are paid to recover it and take it to the repo yard and get paid.

I agree - a couple of nylon straps and a wrecker - and it's gone. Along with your possessions. And because it will be greatly depreciated (and probably damaged) you will be on the hook for the outragious cost of repoing it, plus the remaining balance due between the amount owed and what they sell it for (usually pennies-on-the-dollar). The whole process of repos is a pretty dirty game (I saw it firsthand when a relative's possessions were repoed) - I would recommend NOT going that route.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
whizbang wrote:
I keep waiting for the pictures. I don't understand how a three year old RV can be falling apart.

Our Class C is 19 years old. I am expecting to get another 6 to 10 years out of it.

Some people arenโ€™t very observant. I know someone who bought an RV with a nail/screw through itโ€™s water tank. It took them a few trips and weeks to notice the water was leaving the tank. Then, the dealer โ€œrepairedโ€ it under warranty.

They were without it for about 6 months. A couple of years later they noticed they had a leak from the repair when the floor became soft. The dealer didnโ€™t tighten a clamp correctly.

My TC is 15 years old. Iโ€™m not saying itโ€™s never had any minor issue, but so far, Iโ€™ve been able to fix the minor issues before they became major. For instance, I had a small tear in the roof membrane presumably from a limb. Had I not noticed it, eventually I would have roof damage. A piece of Eternabond and it was all good.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I keep waiting for the pictures. I don't understand how a three year old RV can be falling apart.

Our Class C is 19 years old. I am expecting to get another 6 to 10 years out of it.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The nationwide moratorium on evictions expired last week, so other living options might expire as well.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
DMJ8181 wrote:
Respectfully, I've taken great care of it, it's been my HOME for two years. I simply asked CAN THEY REPO IT? As I said, I have other living options, I don't see how my lifestyle is relevant.

Likely would IF the repo man makes enough money to offset the effort.

I have no clue what he would get for his "bounty"
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.