cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck to fit camper

oliver_550
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to potentially buy a Host Tahoe SB. This TC is specifically for a Short Bed so I was wondering which 3500/350 non dually will fit the bill. Host says it would weigh a little over 4k with the options plus our own "stuff". I would like to add a I know many of the 3500/350 have 11500 GVWR but I am not sure what the real weights of these trucks are. I would think it will have to be a gasser to have the weight capacity although I really would like it to be a diesel if there is one that will work. Does anyone know which truck may have the available weight capacity for this?

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
Our Everest was 5620 with no water in the tank.

I’d read up on payload and how to gain more. If buying a new/newer truck I’d factor in the warranty. And insurance. I find it interesting that when a manufacturer mentions max payload they don’t say anything about rear axle ratings, tires and rims.

We kinda looked at the Tahoe SB since we already had a 2017 GMC 3500 Denali SB, but the Everest floor plan won out ( wife preferred ). Good luck!
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, that particular camper is pretty limiting in a shortbed only config.
It would be much better served to be shortbed and longbed capable. If youre honed in on only that particular camper I’d think real hard about ordering one with nothing built out in the wings so it fit a longbed too.
Should cost less and will be far more marketable and flexible for fitment
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

Aren't there some 18's or 20's that have 4000lb+ load rating in SRW configuration?

I have a Ram 3500 with 20" wheels. Load rating on the tires is 3640, 7880 for 2 wheels. That is not going to cut it for a heavy camper. Unloaded weight on the rear tires for my truck is about 3500#, leaving only a little over 4000# for the camper weight. The Tahoe is going to come in way over that, at least 1000-2000# more with almost all that weight on the rear tires.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I just don't know where you're going to find a 6'6" bed DRW truck, especially these days... Heck finding an SRW 350/3500 is going to be hard enough. Have there been any DRWs produced aside from the RAM Megacab DRW in the last 10+ years?

Aren't there some 18's or 20's that have 4000lb+ load rating in SRW configuration?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will almost certainly need a DRW truck. You really need to look more closely at the camper specs. On the webpage, this camper starts at 3340# dry weight. Wet weight will be very close to 4000# without options. The list of options is really long and includes many must have items. You need a more exact weight for the specific camper configurations. Then figure close to another 1000# to outfit the camper with food, clothing, tools, emergency air compressor, kitchen gear, bedding, generator, fuel, lawn chairs, BBQ, cleaning supplies, etc, etc. I can almost guarantee you will hit at least 500# if you are careful on keeping the weight down. Don't forget to add additional weight for passengers, truck modifications such as a bed mat, brackets and tiedowns. It is very likely that you will hit a grand total of 6000#.

You will almost certainly also want to use a diesel to pull this rig.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh406 wrote:
mbloof wrote:
Umm... well... err... No.

To dispel the myth that DRW's are "safer" then SRW a quick search of auto parts stores list the same PN# for rotors&pads for SRW AND DRW trucks.

It's no myth. You are just wrong, but I'll leave it to you to find the many threads that go into the details.

I had a long winded response as to how the same brakes can’t do better than the same brakes but it seems pointless.
Suffice it to say, you’re incorrect save for a very limited or theoretical set of conditions where the greater tread surface of a drw axle will allow the vehicle with more tires on the road to have a greater threshold braking force applied to them without locking up.
So you’re correct in that very limited specific set of conditions, even though it’s not the brakes that are the reason.

oliver_550
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. We were using a 2012 F250 with 6.7 to haul our Palomino HS 2902 single slide that had a shipping weight of 3261 lb. We usually travelled with the fresh tank full as well (45 gallons). The F250 hauled around this camper great especially in the high elevation areas which we spend alot of time. When we take our V10 Excursion out there it seems to struggle in the mountains. We have the new Ford 7.3 in a Class C but have not taken it out that way so I am not sure how it would do in the mountains. I was just hoping I could get a F350/3500 to do as good a job with the Host SB as the F250 did with the Palomino. I have had multiple DRW trucks before and we go places without the camper that is too tight with DRW. Which is one reason I want to stay away from DRW if possible. I still have not ruled out a gasser but would rather go diesel if the extra weight is not an issue.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
KD4UPL wrote:
You will regret not gettimg a dually on the first trip. You'll be heavier than you think.
There's no way I'd get a diesel for hauling a TC unless it will also be used to tow something heavy.

And yet diesel vs gas will have negligible effect on how the truck handles a particular camper.

Bedlam
You either need the Ram 3500 Megacab DRW or run a SRW with suspension and Wheel upgrades. If you go this route, expect to swap out the spring pack. Add a rear stabilizer bar and go to 245/70r19.5 PR16 LRH tires. You may also need heavier damped shocks to handle those heavy commercial tires.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mbloof wrote:

To dispel the myth that DRW's are "safer" then SRW a quick search of auto parts stores list the same PN# for rotors&pads for SRW AND DRW trucks.

It's no myth. You are just wrong, but I'll leave it to you to find the many threads that go into the details.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You will regret not gettimg a dually on the first trip. You'll be heavier than you think.
There's no way I'd get a diesel for hauling a TC unless it will also be used to tow something heavy.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
Besides the weight capacity, the DRW will have noticeably better brakes.

Must be a Auto parts store mess up right? Nope.

Here's Dodge/Ram (as an example)Dodge/Ram 3500 OEM break parts page

While last I looked Ford was the same way, IDK about GM. (likely the same as well)

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And you’ll be about 1000lbs each over gvwr, rated camper payload and factory axle rating and over OE tire/wheel rating.
And under the real axle rating.
I’d haul it but that’s all the camper a srw truck wants to have on it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
There isn't a reason to have a diesel unless you plan to tow something heavy some of the time or need the extra range. Gasoline engines haul TCs just fine.

However, I think you should consider a DRW. For short bed, I think that means Ram. I don't think anyone else still makes a short bed. You could put something in front of the bed on a long bed. Some people do that. Personally, I think it looks strange.

I have a double slide 9 1/2 Host. I hauled it on a 11,400 SRW for 8 1/2 years. I did upgrade to 19.5 G tires to give more tire capacity. My DRW hauls it better as expected. I got by with the SRW because I had to. I just carried less water, kept the grey/black tanks empty, and only carried the minimum. Besides the weight capacity, the DRW will have noticeably better brakes.

Even with the DRW, I've pushed my 14500 GVWR fully loaded. On trip, I towed my wife's Uncle/Aunts TT behind on a trip to Yellowstone from the Seattle Area and back. It had no issues even over the Cascades with the diesel.

In any case, you can do it with a SRW, but you have to accept some tradeoffs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
It will probably end up weighing 5000#+ with your stuff, a couple people in the truck, and a full tank of fuel. Definitely puts you out of single rear wheel territory. My camper with options is 3300#, and comes in at 4700# loaded ready to go camping. It pretty much maxes out my longbed dually, truck and camper weighed at a CAT scale is 13,700# Maybe look at a Ram Megacab, they are shortbed and I think you can get them as a dually.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC