cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone NP

CptRod
Explorer
Explorer

I'm planning on a trip to Yellowstone NP this May 2024. I'd like to avoid "hairpin" curves. My plan is going east on Interstate 90 to Interstate 15. Then south to Spencer, ID, east to Kilgore then to campsite at Island Park, ID.  I will be pulling a 35' fifth wheel.  I'm looking for any suggestions.  I don't mind driving a couple extra hours to avoid "white knuckle" areas, even though I'm an experienced driver with my camper.

2 REPLIES 2

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Assuming you are trying to get to West Yellowstone to enter the park, why not stay on I-90 till Cardwell and then cut down to connect to US287. We took it northbound last year and nothing very exciting in terms of the road conditions.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

@CptRod wrote:

I'm planning on a trip to Yellowstone NP this May 2024. I'd like to avoid "hairpin" curves. My plan is going east on Interstate 90 to Interstate 15. Then south to Spencer, ID, east to Kilgore then to campsite at Island Park, ID.  I will be pulling a 35' fifth wheel.  I'm looking for any suggestions.  I don't mind driving a couple extra hours to avoid "white knuckle" areas, even though I'm an experienced driver with my camper.

In May Yellowstone may still be snowed in wherever you try to enter.  Weather this year is even more unpredictable then in the past. 

We were held up in Cody, WY an extra day one year. That was in June.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29