cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hi all

Orionfe
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here. Seriously looking into fulltiming it. Leaning towards a 36-40' class A diesel for long term reliability. Will be working during our travels.
Any comments / recommendations as to type / model would be greatly appreciated. Not wealthy people, so cost is somewhat of an issue.

Thanks to all

Bill
2 REPLIES 2

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s a lot of arguments concerning gas v diesel. I went with gas strictly from an economic standpoint and even with the poor fuel mileage it works for me. One guy, who was a retired diesel engine mechanic, went with gas simply because he knew that cost for diesel engine parts could be budget busting. On my RV, a 1994 33โ€™ Class A Holiday Rambler, the 460 V8 developed a bearing knock at about 60,000 miles. However, I donโ€™t blame the engine but rather the previous ownerโ€™s irresponsible attitude when it came to regular service and maintenance. I fully expect to get +100,000 miles from the rebuilt long block engine assembly I installed. But, unlike the RVโ€™s previous owner Iโ€™ll be running synthetic oil exclusively and changing it on a yearly basis.

Based on my own experience, I strongly recommend that whether you go with gas or diesel, if you purchase used, that you research the RVโ€™s maintenance records as much as you can. Even when theyโ€™re well taken care of a lot is asked of these machines and theyโ€™ll go downhill quickly if not properly maintained.

Steve

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Look for an older Foretravel, a quality build and ease of engine access for maintenance. Example our Freightliner rear radiator chassis, $900+ for a fan belt installed. Starting our 12th year full-time and almost 120,000 miles on our 2006 Phaeton.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog