cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all

Orionfe
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here. Seriously looking into fulltiming it. Leaning towards a 36-40' class A diesel for long term reliability. Will be working during our travels.
Any comments / recommendations as to type / model would be greatly appreciated. Not wealthy people, so cost is somewhat of an issue.

Thanks to all

Bill
2 REPLIES 2

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
There’s a lot of arguments concerning gas v diesel. I went with gas strictly from an economic standpoint and even with the poor fuel mileage it works for me. One guy, who was a retired diesel engine mechanic, went with gas simply because he knew that cost for diesel engine parts could be budget busting. On my RV, a 1994 33’ Class A Holiday Rambler, the 460 V8 developed a bearing knock at about 60,000 miles. However, I don’t blame the engine but rather the previous owner’s irresponsible attitude when it came to regular service and maintenance. I fully expect to get +100,000 miles from the rebuilt long block engine assembly I installed. But, unlike the RV’s previous owner I’ll be running synthetic oil exclusively and changing it on a yearly basis.

Based on my own experience, I strongly recommend that whether you go with gas or diesel, if you purchase used, that you research the RV’s maintenance records as much as you can. Even when they’re well taken care of a lot is asked of these machines and they’ll go downhill quickly if not properly maintained.

Steve

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Look for an older Foretravel, a quality build and ease of engine access for maintenance. Example our Freightliner rear radiator chassis, $900+ for a fan belt installed. Starting our 12th year full-time and almost 120,000 miles on our 2006 Phaeton.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog