cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outfitter's New Molded Fiberglass Body for the Apex 8 Camper

terryrey
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I was at Outfitter in Longmont, CO to have a couple of items fixed under warranty on my 2011 Apex 8 pop up camper. While I was at Outfitter, they were in process of assembling their new all molded fiberglass / gel coat Apex 8 camper shell body. I was told that they made the molds for this camper awhile back, but are just now making camper serial #1. I guess that it took their fiberglass manufacturer awhile to work out the production bugs of making acceptable parts. If the camper is well accepted, I was told Outfitter plans to convert their Apex and Juno models to all molded fiberglass bodies. The price right now is projected to be a little more than the current welded aluminum frame / Filon composite camper with the molded fiberglass roof, but Iโ€™m guessing that the final price will be worked out after they add everything up and apply overhead and profit.

The current Apex and Juno campers use a molded / gel coat fiberglass tub, roof, cab over insert (the part that makes up the under bed storage box, bed drawer slot, and cab over storage boxes on either side of the bed), and shower stall. These will be re-used in the new all fiberglass / gel coat camper. The molded (fiberglass with balsa wood cores) granite-look counter top, table, and overhead cabinet end pieces will also continue to be used. What is new is the entire upper camper box / cab over, which is now 100 percent fiberglass / gel coat with no wood whatsoever used in its construction. The new upper camper box / cab over also now sports a really nice looking raised design on the front nose of the cab over. The overall look and size of the camper will be unchanged. The height and width of the camper are fixed by the mold size, but the length can be varied from the 8.5 foot Apex 8 box up to the larger Juno 10 box. To my knowledge, all other features and options remain unchanged, although Outfitter is now using pre-finished birch plywood (called UV coat in the trade) for their cabinet work instead of framed panel construction. Also Outfitter will continue to use wood for other interior construction, and the basement floor will also continue to be an aluminum framed, waterproofed luan / foam sandwich as before. This is necessary in order to make the floor removable to give access to the water tanks and other mechanical in the basement.

The new molded fiberglass / gel coat upper camper box / cab over is constructed as follows: an outer layer of white gel coat, a layer of fiberglass, a high density block foam core, and an inner layer of fiberglass. All high strength areas use sandwiched, synthetic, high density solid board that is designed to completely saturate with resin. No wood, balsa or otherwise, is used in the exterior shell construction, which makes the Outfitter shell 100 percent high strength, wood free, molded fiberglass, which is different from molded fiberglass campers which use balsa wood as a sandwiched core structural material. (I'm not saying fiberglass / balsa wood construction is inferior, just that there is no wood to ever get wet and possibly rot.) The shellโ€™s inner fiberglass surface is not gel coat, but is trimmed out with high grade, durable, soft vinyl upholstery material that is backed with a foam liner for additional R factor. The final weight has yet to be determined, but is projected to be about the same as the current aluminum framed model, and hopefully a few pounds less.

Iโ€™m guessing that the move to a molded fiberglass / gel coat body shell is to allow Outfitter to differentiate itself in the marketplace with a superior construction technique.

I look forward to seeing how this new upgrade works out. I really like my Outfitter Apex 8 and, in my opinion, the features that make Outfitter the best pop-up on the market just got better.

Terry
22 REPLIES 22

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Give us an update with some pictures.

We are still bumping along with our 2004 Apex. It has crossed this country N/S/E/W many times. 115 degrees in Arizona, 10 degrees in Colorado, and everything in between.
magic43

Porkchopexpress
Explorer
Explorer
To follow up, I did tour the Outfitter facility and made a deposit on the Apex 8. In my opinion, the fiberglass body is as good a design and quality as anything else in the industry. I was very impressed.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
The setup of our current Northstar camper is similar. A lot of fesh water, small gray tank.

If/when you have a cassette toilet, you need to dump very frequently anyway.
And a place to dump is much easier to find than a source of fresh water.
We dump the (usually about half full) cassette daily as well as the gray water tank (using a bucket for the gray water). That way, we always have 2 day reserve. And a half full cassette weighs only half as much as a full one when you take it out. That way, we can stay parked in one location until the fresh water runs out (> 5 days), as long as we have a place to dump the cassette and bucket within walking distance.

Works for us, doesn't work for everyone.

Outfitter's tank sizes have always worked for me.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
The setup of our current Northstar camper is similar. A lot of fesh water, small gray tank.

If/when you have a cassette toilet, you need to dump very frequently anyway.
And a place to dump is much easier to find than a source of fresh water.
We dump the (usually about half full) cassette daily as well as the gray water tank (using a bucket for the gray water). That way, we always have 2 day reserve. And a half full cassette weighs only half as much as a full one when you take it out. That way, we can stay parked in one location until the fresh water runs out (> 5 days), as long as we have a place to dump the cassette and bucket within walking distance.

Works for us, doesn't work for everyone.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ >50 gal of water carrying capacity (44 gal fresh tank and 6 gal HWH) and 16 gal grey tank.โ€

Thatโ€™s not a spec to brag about. This kind of crummy setup has long been one of my biggest peeves about campers.
A big water tank at the supply end, but tiny waste tanks... so unless you can dump it on the ground you canโ€™t use all that water. Not even half of it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Porkchopexpress wrote:
joerg68 wrote:
@Porkchopexpress: You say you live "West". Any chance for a trip to Colorado to visit Outfitter (and Hallmark, while you are close by anyway)? Well worth the visit, Rocky Mtn NP is close by.
I haven't heard or seen any of the new models either. We sold our 2011 Apex in 2015 for reasons unrelated to the camper and I have not followed the popup camper market closely since.

My profile is out of date. I currently live in Florida and will be going to the Tampa RV show next week. I will look at the Northern Lite and anything else that interests me. I will probably fly out to Denver in a few weeks or so to see an Outfitter and maybe Hallmark, but the elevated wet bath in the Hallmark would probably be a problem for me. The 76" headroom might be a problem on the Northern Lite. On paper the Outfitter Apex seems like the best option but I definitely wouldn't commit to such a big purchase sight unseen.

We have a Juno 10 that was either the first or second year after they started doing the molded fiberglass bodies. No complaints here. It's held up very nicely. Only thing I don't like is that the table is hard to store, too tall (even though I'm 6'2"), awkward positioning. Pretty sure they use Lagun tables now and I'm probably going to upgrade ours sometime.

Porkchopexpress
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
@Porkchopexpress: You say you live "West". Any chance for a trip to Colorado to visit Outfitter (and Hallmark, while you are close by anyway)? Well worth the visit, Rocky Mtn NP is close by.
I haven't heard or seen any of the new models either. We sold our 2011 Apex in 2015 for reasons unrelated to the camper and I have not followed the popup camper market closely since.

My profile is out of date. I currently live in Florida and will be going to the Tampa RV show next week. I will look at the Northern Lite and anything else that interests me. I will probably fly out to Denver in a few weeks or so to see an Outfitter and maybe Hallmark, but the elevated wet bath in the Hallmark would probably be a problem for me. The 76" headroom might be a problem on the Northern Lite. On paper the Outfitter Apex seems like the best option but I definitely wouldn't commit to such a big purchase sight unseen.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II

Porkchopexpress
Explorer
Explorer
I bumped it because I can't find anything on the newer design posted on any forums and no reviews.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
@Geewizard: note the thread dates from 2014.

Oops! Thanks joerg.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
@Geewizard: note the thread dates from 2014.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Brian? Do you mean Brian Ward? I thought he'd sold Outfitter.

Porkchopexpress
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone seen the newer fiberglass Outfitter Apex? There is very little information on the internet on them which is surprising because it seems like such a good design.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
An Outfitter's benefits are sometimes difficult for some to fully get. The FACT that it easily has more storage that most hardsides of the same size for instance. Or that the Weblon soft sides are not your Grandfather's canvas tent and that there is no muss or fuss when lowering the top.

I hope Outfitter does well with it's new future direction.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB