Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goverment Shutdowns

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Without getting political...

We've got most of a week reserved in Chiricahua NM shortly after this weeks deadline, will be on the road till then.

Has anyone been in or been stopped from entering a government campground due to a shutdown? I take it they just lock the gate or some such so you can't get in, do you get reimbursed or notified?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
75 REPLIES 75

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We're done for a few weeks

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

SS payments do not come from funds approved by Congress, the money is there and will be paid.

The employees who process SS payments are considered โ€˜key and essentialโ€™ employees. Besides the payment information is processed a month in advance.

That is good to know (The month in advance) However.... Normally I include the fact SS is a different Budget not the one Congress votes on, and a few other facts I left out here.

Still. I recall some concern over it the last shutdown. at that time My Wife was 1: Still alive and 2: On SS but her check was timed such that by the time the day rolled around.. Government was back in business.

This time.. Well I'm not sure that will happen, (2 days to go).

I'll check my blance before I hook up and go Wed.

THankfully I have a plan B if I need to use it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
I remember a few years back, Government shut down. Non-essential employees sent home... In the end, we were all paid.

Lakeside

I came out ahead. I collected unemployment benefits while laid off and never had to pay it back after I got back pay. Plus did not use vacation time to take a nice trip!

Hummmmmm. I would not have handled the unemployment benefits like you did. We all make choices.

Lakeside

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Question: WILL SS payments be sent out on time? I need to know since mine is due in BEFORE the 26th.. I'd like to go shopping on Wed on my way to ye other park.. Alas. May not be an opiton.. other pay day is .. 25th of course.

(Thankfully there is a plan B I can use.. I have multiple bank accounts)

SS payments do not come from funds approved by Congress, the money is there and will be paid.

The employees who process SS payments are considered โ€˜key and essentialโ€™ employees. Besides the payment information is processed a month in advance.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's all over. Carry on......
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question: WILL SS payments be sent out on time? I need to know since mine is due in BEFORE the 26th.. I'd like to go shopping on Wed on my way to ye other park.. Alas. May not be an opiton.. other pay day is .. 25th of course.

(Thankfully there is a plan B I can use.. I have multiple bank accounts)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Inside word itโ€™s over by this Friday the 26th. Chucky can take the pressure only so long.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
Things are different this time:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/01/21/secretary-zinke-cleans-trash-offers-tours-national-mall-during...

One blow hard politician doing the work of how many ?? Considering the news source....
Publicity stunt at its best :M
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
I remember a few years back, Government shut down. Non-essential employees sent home... In the end, we were all paid.

Lakeside

I came out ahead. I collected unemployment benefits while laid off and never had to pay it back after I got back pay. Plus did not use vacation time to take a nice trip!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"A horse apiece."

Yeah, but which end of the horse? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We were in a Corp of Engineer park for the last shut down, and - we were told that we had to leave by noon the next day. They then closed the gates and no one was allowed in the park. We had already paid cash for several more days camping.

Did you get a refund?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmcdar wrote:
ljr wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
ljr wrote:
Yes. It was a COE campground in KS. Nobody contacted me. I called enroute and they told me they were closed. It was a concessionaire not a government employee but they said they werenโ€™t allowed to let me stay.

I havenโ€™t stayed at a Federal facility since.

That's showing them!

As opposed to rewarding poor service by going back for more. No need for that. Plenty of great state, county and municipal campgrounds around.

LARRY - You show your disapproval by VOTING not boycotting places to camp - jeez

I have reservations for a COE campground starting this Wednesday. The reservations are through Reserve America. If they are closed and I get no notice it is the fault of Reserve America and NOT the volunteers manning the gate.

BUT I am not the type to blame things on others so I will put my "Big Pants" on and call ahead.

How about if I keep going to the parks I prefer and NEVER, as long as I draw breath, vote for a D or R. You do what you want.
Larry

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I remember a few years back, Government shut down. Non-essential employees sent home. Essential employees worked. Some days we worked doubles, which meant sixteen hours straight, off for eight and back for another sixteen hours. Moral was in the dumpster. I suspect corners were cut due to resentment from some that were having issues with their finances. I kept a good attitude and did my job at 100%. This too, soon shall pass!

Anyway, about 18 days in I decided to have some fun while on the way home. Might as well laugh as well as be sad. I filled up with diesel while warning my uniform. Went inside to the clerk and gave her an IOU for my diesel. She said that she could not accept the IOU. We were acquainted and she was aware of the current 'work for the government for no pay situation'. We both had a good laugh that carried over into the line at the counter. People were sympathetic, but truly amazed that our Government would go to this extreme. It is what it is. Might as well keep it on the 'light' side of emotions rather than get truly upset. In the end, we were all paid.

Lakeside