cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will Fed shutdown bar access to Nat Forests? Nat Parks?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note -- I am seeking factual info and am not making a political statement. I do not care who is responsible for the upcoming shutdown.

I just want to know this: if I am already boondocking in a national forest (which happens to be near a national park), and the shutdown happens, will I have to leave the national forest? Even if not, will I be able to enter the national park at all?

My guess is that there is no hard and fast nation-wide answer to those two questions -- the answers may depend on the decisions made by each national forest and each national park.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Please bear in mind that if we veer over the edge and start blaming one side or the other for this impasse, the moderators will shut down the thread, depriving all of us of a potentially useful discussion.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
27 REPLIES 27

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
snip..... it is the usual "funding It would be difficult to shift blame in that case.

Your statement is just another one of McConnell's many double standards w no basis in reality. It's going to take 10 GOP senators to raise the debt ceiling - neither party can wash their hands of it should the .gov shutdown or default.
You are 100% wrong about that. The funding and the debt ceiling could have been attached to to the $3.5T reconciliation package currently pending and passed with only Dem votes. Nancy and Chucky decided against that cause they wanted Rep's to vote "for" it. All in all it's politics as usual, the good of the people doesn't come into play.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
One blogger I know who is a full-time RVer was staying a lengthy period of time on a camping site on a lake managed by the Corps of Engineers (COE) during the shutdown of campgrounds in 2020 because of the high infection rate of Covid at that time. The Corps did not make them leave when the Corps was asked if they could stay, and they were even allowed to extend their reservation. Full-timers had a bad time during that period because they live on the road, have no "sticks and bricks" home to go to, and the campgrounds were shutting down during that high infectious period.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's true BLM land would be just about impossible to close with exceptions of their semi developed camps.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you vote for. I refuse to let politicians of any stripe determine how I live my life or determine when or where I go. Look up the definition of 'Federalism'.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Has and hasn't in the past. Depends on that Forestโ€™s manager.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wrong again KH. During last shutdowns I had full access to BLM lands in Nevada and northern CAL for my boondocking camping to my favorite places. Except for a few of their developed campsites nothing may be closed as is impossible to do as anyone knows from their experience of accessing the western BLM with their thousands of main roads into and thru the BLM lands for use of ranchers, miners, farmers, homesteaders, etc. No gates and no patrolling rangers I have never seen in 10 years of camping there in remote areas. Shish.

Main gravel Roads are maintained by the county.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The party currently in power is the party most often in charge of large cities and urban areas. Rural areas tend to be marginalized when they are in power. And it is human nature that when you regain power, you use it to benefit those who got you there. If they shut down all but essential services, those rural folks will bear the brunt as being those other people.
Probably the best way to predict how this goes would be to look at what the prior administration did. It's many of the same ideologue's so their approach will likely be similar.
If I recall correctly many BLM areas were closed off, along with the parks and campgrounds.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The Department of the Interior governs both the NPS and the BLM, the Dept. of Ag. governs USNF so there are a lot of entities involved. No clear answers will be available until the Congress makes a decision.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
BLM land is a great thought -- gotta do some quick homework to find an alternate if the shutdown takes place.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst with contingency plans such as using open western BLM lands, state, county, city and private parks, etc. as I have done in the past. Past shutdowns and reductions did not last too long as I recall. There is usually a way. Politicians and extortion are one and the same. Cheers to the many and jeers to a few.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, we are all simple people and just want a great wooded site to go camping; anything else is like trying to change the weather. I have my fingers crossed.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The party in power has the votes via reconciliation to pass the temporary extension to Dec 3rd. They just do not want to do so and have their fingerprints all over the bill.. The Debt extension won't have to be done until Dec 3rd.

There are all sorts of political shenanigans and chicanery going on, not appropriate for this forum.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
snip..... it is the usual "funding It would be difficult to shift blame in that case.

Your statement is just another one of McConnell's many double standards w no basis in reality. It's going to take 10 GOP senators to raise the debt ceiling - neither party can wash their hands of it should the .gov shutdown or default.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell