cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a Hitch To The Trailer

TheDirtBiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys newbie here, hope I found the right forum for my question.

I've just put down a deposit on a 2018 Tracer 24DBS

http://primetimerv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=475&Image=24433&ModelID=3690#Main

I want to add a receiver to the rear of the trailer so that I can use a "hitch hauler" to haul two dirt bikes (less than 500lbs, more than 400) My wife is FREAKING out that I want to do this because when you read the fine print Tracer says that you cannot add anything to the bumper or the rear of the frame.

Now common sense tells me that this frame is a pretty beefy piece of I Beam steel. I have a buddy that's a fabricator (and mechanical engineer) and we were planning to either use one of the standard recievers below that appear to support up to 500lbs tongue weight or fab something up ourselves.

So what do you guys say, should I listen to the wife or am I right that it's not a big issue and I won't have any problems?

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/curt-adjustable-rv-trailer-hitch-cur13701.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC_PLA_CURT%20Manufacturing&utm_term=1100404023410&utm_content=CURT%20Manufacturing%20-%20All
60 REPLIES 60

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I just hope biker comes back in 10 years and tells us he was right, and not his wife coming on to tell us he was wrong!

And I will not bother to find the picture of my broken frame from the 4 bike carrier that was attached to the frame rails

Doubtful. Having spent my career both building/repairing semi trailers and other road traveling equipment I can say that the failure rate of his project is almost certain. The frames they use today in trailer builds isn't like it used to be and cracked frames and broken goosenecks even on high dollar rigs is frequent.
The man came on here looking for enough people to co-sign his project believing that would be sufficient. His will be a lesson hard learned to match his hard head.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I just hope biker comes back in 10 years and tells us he was right, and not his wife coming on to tell us he was wrong!

And I will not bother to find the picture of my broken frame from the 4 bike carrier that was attached to the frame rails
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a Diamond Back Truck Bed Cover?

https://diamondbackcovers.com/

Just load the bikes on top of the cover and you can close the tailgate even if the back tires hang off a bit. They aren't cheap. But until you spend what it would take to do the mods to your trailer to do it right, it would likely be a wash. And a lot safer too.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
JAMES57,
There is a LOT of difference in a TT and a 5th WHELLER !!!
Also a lot of difference in 130lbs and 500 LBS!!!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

James57
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it with two 5th wheel campers
no problem. Pulled 16 ft. trailer with a 1300lb.
sxs never any problem

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know what they are called and canโ€™t find a picture. But you might try this. Itโ€™s a small โ€œtrailerโ€ that attaches to the rear of your trailer at 2 points, right and left. It has 2 wheels that support the weight of whatever is on it. The 2 wheels will pivot 360 degrees. Itโ€™s basiclly an extension of your trailer.

Edit: found a pic
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=73699
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Did the CHP mention this, which is from page 28 of the California DMV's Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook?

"You may only tow one vehicle with your noncommercial class A, B, or C driver's license. You may not tow two vehicles with a noncommercial class A, B, or C driver's license. Example: you may not tow a boat trailer and a car." Sounds like you may need a driver's license upgrade, if you don't have it already.

You may want to talk to them again to clarify what's going on.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/28423ba0-bba6-4347-9e21-db274e970772/dl648.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I built a lift for the back of my fiver for a 700 lb bike. I haven't welded it to the trailer yet. I am a little concerned about the weight that will be removed from my pin even though I will still have about 1800 lbs of pin weight after loading the bike. I am prepared to either add a third axle or move my existing axles closer to the back of the trailer if need be. My trailer has frame rails that are 18" deep and I used considerable caution in designing a hitch that can transfer the weight of my bike into the trailer frame rails without tearing away from the frame. The frame is deep but it is constructed of a lighter wall thickness than what would be ideal. I will be bolting and welding my hitch to the trailer. I am using two 2x4 inch hitch receivers and adding two cross members in order to transfer the stresses into the frame rails. The weight of the hitch and carrier is over 400 lbs.

With out seeing your set up I am not going to say much but my gut feeling is that your best solution is to buy a truck with an 8 foot bed and carry your bikes on the truck.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

TheDirtBiker
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Earlier you claim you know about proper trailer balance.

If you can put enough weight in the front of the trailer to counterbalance the bikes, there's no problem.

However, people with NOTHING on the rear of their trailers frequently have problems finding enough stuff to put in the front of the trailer to achieve a stable tow.

What are you going to put in the front of the trailer to counterbalance the bikes on the back?
In the moto forum I participate in the folks who've done this successfuly with similar trailers load all of their gear in the front of the trailer. I'll probably end up going to two 6 volt batteries up front for additional capacity and weight, add my generator, ice chest, fuel for the bike etc. It doesn't sound like it takes too much to get it balanced with only one bike in the rear.

I've got a scale nearby where I can weigh the tongue weight before and then make modifications and weigh it again. But again with only 1 225lb motorcycle from the folks I've spoken with it's not difficult to balance things at all.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TheDirtBiker wrote:
Now common sense tells me that this frame is a pretty beefy piece of I Beam steel.

Have you seen the frame?

Who is the frame made by, LCI (Lippert?)

Some frames I've seen from Lippert are 3 pieces of steel welded together to make the shape of an I-Beam.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Earlier you claim you know about proper trailer balance.

If you can put enough weight in the front of the trailer to counterbalance the bikes, there's no problem.

However, people with NOTHING on the rear of their trailers frequently have problems finding enough stuff to put in the front of the trailer to achieve a stable tow.

What are you going to put in the front of the trailer to counterbalance the bikes on the back?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with the above couple of posts. Aside from that, it seems like it would be easier to fab some kind of ramp system to load the bikes in the bed of the truck. The front tires could rest over the cab...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bedlam
That is the way I read it too. It does hinge vertically for uneven ground but is not a horizontal pivot point, so it swings with the trailer like a cargo basket or RV frame extension.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Seon wrote:
Clearly the OP has made up his mind on doing it so here's my suggestion,
either buy or have you fabricator build a double swivel wheel trailer.
Problem solved.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-58-dual-wheel

I agree this is best solution while keeping the same travel trailer. This maintains your tongue weight and keeps stresses low on your trailer frame.

And if I'm not mistaken, these type of carriers (seen in the picture) are NOT CLASSIFIED as a trailer. They are classified as an extension of the original trailer. If one considers this alternative, I'd definitely check with your local Highway Patrol to verify that the company is right in classifying it that way before writing the check for one.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND