Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated rear view camera

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
2022 chev 2500
Not as tech savvy as some of y’all.
I am wondering if anyone makes a rear view camera, that integrates with this truck’s existing information screen? I have the basic hitch/backup camera on my tailgate , but want to see what’s behind my trailer going down the road. I have CarPlay so can possibly integrate through my phone.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
10 REPLIES 10

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
Follow up,
More research indicates that some later trucks (some Chev, GMC, Dodge and Mercedes) have something called a PWM (pulse width Modulator). If I understand correctly, it's job is to regulate voltage to LED lights and micro electronics, to make it more constant.
As a result, many Backup/rearview camera systems that wire into a clearance light do not/may not work without an adaptor.
Getting the impression that you can either spend $50 - $60 for an adaptor OR you can run a dedicated wire back to the camera.
Feel free to correct me if I am indeed, full of male bovine feces. 😄

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
Looked at the Chev Trailer view system and the intellihaul 2.0 system through Chev. Put in my Vin number and the site said that the systems would not work with my 2022, 2500 HD Crewcab with the diesel.
Not sure what that is all about, but will call local Chev dealer and see if I can find an answer.

Seems its rare that anything is easy.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have the intellihaul system on my 2015. The side view cameras are integrated into the side view mirror outside cover. they are not easily removeable. the kit includes two side view mirror cameras and covers. The system has an extra port for use with a front camera, or a 3rd brake light camera. The trailer camera is wireless, however a word of caution. If you have the wireless camera 30ft or more from the back of the tailgate make sure the camera is mounted high on the trailer with the antenna above the trailer.

I have mine set up with a front camera and converted the trailer camera to a wired camera and also have a switch to switch between the tailgate camera or trailer camera on the nav display when intellilink is selected.

One other mention, Federak regs, require a factory backup camera to work for something like 15 seconds or more. So if you hit reverse with the trailer camera display, it will switch to the tailgate camera. After 15 seconds if you then hit the intellink system again, you can select the trailer camera.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I found the item, and was partially right and partially wrong.

This one is a wireless system, where the camera is placed at the rear of the trailer and the receiving unit is placed in the cab, and hooked up via a port under the dash to the OEM Infotainment centre. The wiring part is related to the two side cameras, which affix to the side mirrors and cables are run through the door and under/behind the dash. It was my intention to only use one of these two cameras and run it to the grill area for face in parking.

- Intellihaul 2.0 Trailering Camera Systems (from Echomaster) for 2020+ HDs Part #19421451.
- and Wireless Trailer Camera Part #19421453.
- and Front Camera Part #19421452.

Details and Part #s are a few months old, so may not be current.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
JDsdogs,

Shortly after I bought my '22 Sierra SLE 2500HD, I searched out a camera (system) for the rear of our trailer. I did locate one that I was going to purchase, but due to circumstance, did not. At the moment, I can't recall full details, but wrote down a bunch of stuff, so I will see if I can find the details. As I researched a lot of products at that time, I can't honestly recall if it is the OEM auxiliary camera or an aftermarket item.

Not sure of your trim level, but if you have at least the SLE, this item should work on your vehicle.

It does require, however, that you place the camera, run the cable (60 feet if I recall), to the cab, including prying up some trim and routing to an inlet just below the head unit (on my previous truck, I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit and had to route and pry trim and dash, so I am conversant in this - actually did it a couple times). The image plays on the OEM screen.

Marv

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
My choice is to have a separate monitor.
We have the 3 camera Furion system with its own monitor. The monitor is attached a thingy that fits in a cupholder. So we can monitor the RV cameras AND have the navigation screen at the same time.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks Deltabravo

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JDsdogs wrote:
My truck has only the hitch camera. Wish it had the trailer view option , but does not.

Check out https://www.camerasource.com/

They have a lot of cameras that integrate to the OEM system
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
My truck has only the hitch camera. Wish it had the trailer view option , but does not.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
depending on what options are on your truck it may already be equiped for a trailer camera avaialbe from GM.

Way back in 2015 GM started offering an accy camera kit for 2500's. It added side mirror cameras, rear trailer camera and an option for a front camera. I can pick and choose which camera or cameras show on the screen

Then a few years later they started offering a full camera system as a factory option.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!