cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 95 Vectra -- chassis A/C is not enough

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we cooked in the coach going down the road because the chassis A/C just could not keep up. The only way to keep it cool was to fire up the generator and run the house A/C.

A/C pressure gauges indicate a proper charge and A/C vent temp is what should be expected based upon current ambient temp. As best as I can tell the chassis A/C is doing it's job.

Is this typical of the Vectra's with a 460? Should also mention that it has Banks Power Pack headers.
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA
13 REPLIES 13

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We live in he South East US, which often equates to humid days. We run the generator to run the house A/C while traveling. The dash A/C may does good the early morning hours, but traveling east with the son and all the glass up front, we could bake cookies on the dash without the house A/C running.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Our dash air is good up to about 90 in the front. If you want to watch tv in the back while traveling its hot back there. Over 90 or if someone wants to sit in the back, then the generator with the house air is the way to go. As others have said, most people don't exercise the generator enough anyway.

We do a lot of boondocking so ours is used a lot. More you use it less trouble you have!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 94 Vectra, that we ran the generator almost every trip, the dash air could never keep up
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i would say this is normal for ALL but the very smallest class B camper vans

dash a/c was never designed to cool the larger interior space of an RV

i'm thankful to have the generator and rv a/c

Not normal for all. Our 95 33' Bounder does very well with dash A/C only. You may be surprised how well you A/C works if operating properly. We are some of the lucky ones with Denso dash AC units, which are more robust than other models. Fleetwood got it right when they elected to use Denso. No vacuum controls, all electric servomotors.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another vote for running the genset and the house A/Cs. Unless it's cold outside, I do it every trip. It's good exercise for the generator and it keeps the coach nice and comfy while traveling. I also keep a small fan pointed towards me while underway to pull that cool air off the floor and keep it well circulated.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A common problem with most coaches is a lack of insulation above the dash under the front cap. On two of my coaches the fiberglass had sagged and this allowed the heat to build up in the front of the RV. I solved the problem by using some spray foam on the inside of the front cap but this required removal of the upper cabinets. Not really a big deal since my coach did not have a TV over the dash.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running the generator while on the road during the hot summer days is pretty much normal operations for me. Most of my generator hours are probably while on the move. With the electrical load the A/C has the generator consumes about 1/2 a gallon of fuel an hour. With my average speed of around 55 MPH or so the generator is getting 110 MPG.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A curtain behind the seats does help keep the conditioned air in the cab area.
Personally, I think you're better off running the generator and A/C. It doesn't hurt anything and does not use much extra fuel.
It's good exercise for the generator.

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Hang a clear shower curtain behind the front seats and that will help keep that area cool.

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

I feel better about running the house A/C now. Besides, a hot woman loves cold A/C.

😛
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA

MrWizard
i would say this is normal for ALL but the very smallest class B camper vans

dash a/c was never designed to cool the larger interior space of an RV

i'm thankful to have the generator and rv a/c
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs are not well insulated. The dash air just will not keep everything cool in hot temps has been my experience. Run the generator and stay cool.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
When it's hot outside, I run the house AC with the generator. Dash air will not cool it.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog