cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts about towing Winnie Micro 22ft with 1995 Yukon

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
My son wants to use my 1995 Yukon to tow a Winnie Micro 22 ft trailer with a dry weight of 3760 and tongue weight of 430lbs. I believe the Yukon has a towing capacity of about 6600lbs
so I do not see any problem.. What do you think. It is the short wheel base Yukon with 4WD.
Thanks Ed

I told my son I don't have all the answers but I know where to find them...HERE ON THIS FORUM

I know he will need a brake controller, but not sure about the WDH.
8 REPLIES 8

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
A vehicle that old can experience multiple component failures when stressed with tasks like towing a trailer that reaches its towing capacities. Will that vehicle do it? YES. Will it like it? NO. Will it die doing it? POSSIBLY.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
The Yukon is a 4door model with factory tow package.
Vehicle is in excellent condition and does have 4wd.
Taking it to a Chevy Dealer asap to have that 27 point inspection done to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your great input.
Watching the Fireworks , what a wonderful country we live in!!!!!

3.72 rear

Sounds good, I'd do it!
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
The Yukon is a 4door model with factory tow package.
Vehicle is in excellent condition and does have 4wd.
Taking it to a Chevy Dealer asap to have that 27 point inspection done to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your great input.
Watching the Fireworks , what a wonderful country we live in!!!!!

3.72 rear

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The rig, as designed, will have zero issue with a little trailer like that. Period.
What is variable is the condition of the vehicle at almost a quarter century old and your sons towing abilities.
If youโ€™re good with the second 2 things, the first one is not a problem.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know your numbers, but I would put on a WDH and go. That is a small TT and I wouldnt worry about it.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
You said the short wheelbase version. Do you mean the 2 door, or a 4 door, but NOT the XL/Suburban?

I would think a 4 door 5.7 powered Yukon would pull the trailer you described. Might be a little down on power since the 95's were still TBI.

If it was a 2 door I would be a little less optimistic...pretty short wheelbase and less weight to the truck.

Based on the numbers you described, it looks like the gross weight is about 7K. A little on the heavy side for that truck, but I think power will be the biggest problem. If it doesn't have a tow package with decent gears then that would be a deal breaker.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You'll get all the answers on this forum, yes, no, and everything in between.

Dry weights ARE meaningless. You don't camp naked and hungry. Every pound counts, including you, and you'll always be surprised at how much heavier everything is than you think. Even heavier than stated by the factory.

Vehicle tow ratings are based on engine, transmission, axle ratio, cab configuration. Make sure the rating you have is for *THAT* Yukon as it is configured, not the advertised maximum.

Tow ratings have catches too. They are based off an empty vehicle with no passengers. Every pound you add to the vehicle basically reduces your tow rating by 7.5 pounds. So throw a wife, two kids, and their stuff in the Yukon, and you have reduced your tow capacity by a ton or more.

Off the cuff, he's probably going to be pushing the limits of the vehicle all loaded up and ready to go.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Dry weights are meaningless.
You must know,
A, Yukons loaded ready to travel weight,
B, Yukons GVWR
C, trailers GVWR
Subtract B from A will give you available payload.
Twelve percent of C will give you the maximum tongue weight.
Does tongue weight fall over or under available payload?
While you may never reach the maximum numbers, you guaranteed will never see the advertised dry numbers. So always error on the side of caution.
IMHO, with family on board your very likely not going to have enough payload with that old of a vehicle. But numbera dont lie, so run them.