cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to carry spare on a Winne class a 27 h Vista

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
This has 19” tires but no spare, id frelnbetter having a spare and wheel if I’m in the middle of nowhere and need it
Also when changing a spare on the road can you lift the tire with the auotnlevelers ??
If not what kind of a jack do you bring ??
And what do you use to remove lugs and what are they retorqued to ?? How do you retorque on the road
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
11 REPLIES 11

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I like to take back roads while traveling. Sometimes this means that we are out of cell phone range. There is no way I would travel without the proper jack, lug wrench and spare tire for our trailer. I carry a 6 ton hydraulic jack, lug nut socket & 25" breaker bar and the spare on the back of the trailer. I am 63 yrs old and can still handle the job. When I get older, maybe I will have to stay on the road more traveled.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
K Charles wrote:
We had a rear brake caliper lock up in the woods of VT last week. Had to wait a few days for parts, had a relaxing time with no cell service. Wife and I replaced the pads and caliper. 22.5 tires are starting to get heavy at our age but still doable BUT, we don't carry a spare and would have someone else do it if we had a flat.

what did you use to jack it up and remove the lugs ? Someone said these are torqued at 400 fp ??

The self leveling won't lift up the rear but will lift up one side with a block under the jack, and we used a breaker bar and a 5 ft pipe. Try it at home first, yes they are tight.

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
What wa8yxm said. Here is what I use for my 25 foot Class C: Roadmaster 195225 Spare Tire Carrier. (http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/spare_tire/index.html)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Once again you've asked good but seemingly hot button question. I have a spare and just a few months ago I scraped a curb and ripped a sidewall. I was a half block from home and changed the tire myself. I raised the coach a little with the levelers and then used my 6 Ton bottle jack to raise the axle and tire.

The specs for the torque setting was in the owners manual from Ford and I did it with a 24" breaker bar from Harbor freight. In the field, I would re-torque to a best guess. It is a good idea to know the torque specs, a lot of tire jockeys don't even care how much torque to apply. We had a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara and it had new tires when we bought it. Just to make sure things were good, I checked the lug nut torque. It was about 140 ftlbs before the torque wrench clicked. If your Winnie is on a F53 chassis the torque would be about 150 ft lbs, I don't know your year or GVWR so it's hard to say 150 unequivocally, I know mine is.

If it makes you feel more secure, definitely research what is available, try "etrailer.com", and Google(Bing whatever) and find out what others have done. Try an owners club or How To videos on YouTube.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make a spare tire carrier that attaches to your Tow hitch receiver and extends it so you can still tow your towed.. All I will say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
try it in your drive way, see how it goes. I to in my younger years could handle it , but watched a service guy slip a hyd jack under the axle, air hammered the nuts off , and change the inside dually ,in less time than I could get my tools out. carry a spare tire ,not all shops will have your size just sitting around.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We had a rear brake caliper lock up in the woods of VT last week. Had to wait a few days for parts, had a relaxing time with no cell service. Wife and I replaced the pads and caliper. 22.5 tires are starting to get heavy at our age but still doable BUT, we don't carry a spare and would have someone else do it if we had a flat.

what did you use to jack it up and remove the lugs ? Someone said these are torqued at 400 fp ??

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Most motorhomes don't carry a spare tire and will call a tire service to come to them when a flat occurs. Ask yourself if you have the strength to handle the process of a tire change?

Im sure I could handle it and what happens if you are in a remote area with NO cell service ? Id feel much more at ease with a spare

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Most motorhomes don't carry a spare tire and will call a tire service to come to them when a flat occurs. Ask yourself if you have the strength to handle the process of a tire change?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carried a spare tire only on my roof made a vinyl bag for it, on the side of the road your not going to change a tire, call road service ,coach net is the best. the lifts wern,t built for this kind of work. better safe than on the 6pm news.