cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Class C vs Used Class A

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! We sold our truck and 2007 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek trailer a couple years ago because our kids had grown and we thought we were done with camping and now we just really miss it! So we are shopping for a new set up.

Without a truck to tow and long commutes to work, we are looking at a motorhome and looking for advice. We want to be able to still invite our grown kids to go with us when they can so we have narrowed it down to these two at the moment.

First is a Class C new 2023 Thor Four Winds 31H - all the nice new stuff that goes with it.

The second is a used 2020 Winnebago Vista 31BE with just under 13,000 miles on it.

The price of the two are comparable. Inside there are pros and cons to both.

Would you go New Class C or used Class A???

Thanks for any advice!!
Kelly

2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2023 Forest River - Wildwood 31KQBTS
Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy
8 REPLIES 8

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased the Winnebago tonight! Think we got a nice deal too so back to the fun of camping. Thanks for all the comments
Kelly

Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the opinion of RickTheRealtor, when comparing the quality of Four Winds/Thor to Winnebago, there is no comparison. Makes the decision for the Winnebago a no brainer!
chartrue2@aol.com

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Just the Thor vs. Winnebago aspect, IMO, would make the decision for me.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I would bring one of your adult kids with you when shopping. We had a 31' Class C with bunks. We bought the motorhome when the kids were 8 and 6 and the bunks worked great for them. By the time they were in their early teens, they both complained the bunks were too small, too narrow. They would hit the window as they slept.

Our bunks were 28" x 74". I expanded the bottom bunk to be a standard twin size and it worked much better. The over cab bunk had to be used for our other teen and the top bunk was turned into storage.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Beware of a 31 foot class C unless the drive shaft has been extended past 176 inches. It will be hard to drive and exhausting.

Why not consider a used class c?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

Can the front seats in the Four Winds be used while parked? If not, consider something else.

We are stuck at 31'is because the driveway is a hill. We have to put rollers on the back even at that size so can't go any bigger without worry of lifting the reel wheels.

The Thor front seats do not swivel which is actually the push towards the class A for more comfortable seating. Not having any luck finding much else with bunks. They are rated at 250lbs and while my kids are tall they are still thin enough that isn't an issue for now. Our max budget is about $110,000ish.
Kelly

Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may disagree, but my take is 31ft is a bit small for four or more grown people, when one considers the stuff they will need to bring with them, and where you gonna store it.

Back in 2016, we looked hard at the 31BE and was less than impressed with the build quality, and the size of the bathroom especially the sink area. We opted for a Newmar BayStar Sport which had a similar floor plan and while the bathroom is small, there is more countertop for all the DWโ€™s stuff. However, it was a one year model.

One thing to consider, is if the bunks are rated for grownups.

Can the front seats in the Four Winds be used while parked? If not, consider something else.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard a few people remark that they have a "covid unit" - implying there have been some QC issues as employees came and went, so based on that, the used unit might be more problem-free (assuming the original purchasers dealt with the usual gremlins that pop up in any RV)

But that being said - I own a 2023 Thor 22E. Its main trip was from Michigan to Florida, plus a bunch of small side trips - and it's been perfect. No glitches or problems. We added a Safe-T-Plus steering assist and a Steer Safe trac bar - it was perfectly fine to drive without those, but now drives like a rock-solid sedan instead of a big truck. Personally, I just like the "feel" of a Class C (plus the safety features built into the chassis); and the new Ford 7.3 motor has plenty of grunt!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!