Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How common are parks with "cheater" 50amp service?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How common are parks with "cheater" 50amp service?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
TDIStan

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How common are parks with "cheater" 50amp service? By "cheater" 50amp service I mean a standard NMEA 14-50R outlet that has been wired with BOTH hot terminals on the same 120v leg. "Cheater" 50amp service does not provide 240v - only two 120v circuits.

If you have encountered parks that are wired this way, how recently? Is there a pattern that might predict where/when to be suspicious? Regions of the country? Private vs public lands parks? Age of the park? I am not confident that the person answering the reservation phone will know the difference.

I know that most rigs with 50a shore power cords will run OK off of a "cheater" outlet, but this fall I will be traveling with both my RV and a PEV - Plugin Electric Vehicle. The PEV is not towable - my wife will drive it while I drive the rig. Our driving days will be short so that the PEV will arrive at the next park ready to be recharged.

The PEV charges from a "standard" NMEA 14-50R, 240v/50a outlet, wired as per the NEC. If we arrive at a park with "cheater" wiring we're in trouble - we can get a few miles overnight from a 120v/20a outlet, but not a full day's driving. Knowing that the park we're headed to has a proper 240v/50a supply would mean peace of mind.

Thanks for your help.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How can you tell short of checking the power outlet with a VOM? Will it show up using a EMS?

Will you have to rent a separate site to charge your EV? That could get expensive.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a feeling that "checking with the parks" will get a lot of no, or trepidation from owners or managers being concerned with power usage and they may want to upcharge you for the connection or tell you it's not allowed.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt there are very many wired as you suggest. A bigger concern for you may be parks (ours included) that do not allow the charging of electric vehicles. RV park loops are not designed to handle both the load of the RVs and charging electric vehicles. We do not take a chance that the extra loads from charging electric vehicles would lead to either voltage drop across the entire loop or overloading the main to the point the main breakers trip.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

How can you tell short of checking the power outlet with a VOM?

Will you have to rent a separate site to charge your EV? That could get expensive.

Very easy with a voltmeter:

Each outer straight is a HOT.

So outer straight to outer straight with proper 50 amp= 240 VAC

Improper 50 amp= 0 VAC

While you are there, check either outer straight to center straight (neutral) and to center round (ground). Should be 120 VAC.

Takes less than one minute.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEVER came across that situation in past 12 yrs
Didn't really pay attention before 2006 cause all of our previous RVs were 30A....2006 was first 50A RV and we hit the road FT

Came across some mis-wired pedestals, some loss of ground, some loss of neutral and some low voltage issues but NEVER a 50A 'cheater' wiring

And we stayed in a LOT of CGs over the course of 7 yrs in ALL regions of the USA

A so called 50A 'cheater' would only provide 50A TOTAL vs 100A----50A on each 120V Hot leg

IS this something you have actually come across OR are you just speculating over a possibility [emoticon]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/18 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you could fill up the RV with the parks lawnmower fuel? [emoticon]

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not common and the chances of the office saying "Yes our 50A plug is the cheater type" is between zero and none.

I would think that the bigger problem is that regardless of your reservation they don't have a 50A site when you arrive and/or recharging of your car is not allowed.

But consider:
1. Make/buy a simple tester which will tell you it's correctly wired and test the site as soon as you arrive.
2. Stealth mode: Install a female 50A plug in the RV that is not so obvious for charging the car and carry an extension cord.
3. And the MOST IMPORTANT: Have a backup plan to get the car charged.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee

Bob

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would be against code just about everywhere, I believe. More common would be a 50 amp limited to 30 amp/240 vac.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/18 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

More common would be a 50 amp limited to 30 amp/240 vac.
Wouldn't a 30A CB on a 50A plug also be a code violation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How common are parks with "cheater" 50amp service?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS