cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Service Trailer Brake System" message on Suburban

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
In August during a camping trip, the message "Service Trailer Brake System" came on the dashboard when the trailer was not connected to the Suburban. I checked all the fuses and they were good. I hooked up the trailer to the Suburban and the message went away, the trip home was fine and trailer brake worked fine. Unhooked the trailer at home and the message came back on.

I checked the 7 pin connector in the back and everything looked good. I replaced the OEM Trailer Brake Controller thinking it had to be that thing. After replacement, the message stayed on whenever the trailer is not connected, and the message goes away when the trailer is connected to the vehicle. We have done two other trips since and the trailer brake worked fine each trip.

Hooked up the OBD II reader and there are no codes.

It feels like the Trailer Brake Controller thinks there is a trailer connected to the vehicle when there isn't a trailer? Any thoughts?
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
8 REPLIES 8

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
I agree it is likely a corrosion related issue and you should inspect the trailer connector and the wiring that connects to it. Not sure what modules you were able to read with your code reader, but typically they are only good for the PCM, so there could be several other modules with faults that you are unable to detect.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What year suburban? On my Silverado it was a steering stabilizer sensor. Not sure how it is related but twice I have had this problem and both times they replace the steering stabilizer and it goes away.

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Might check the wiring near the trailer plug. If there is a short, it may have closed the circuit that the truck checks to determine if a trailer is attached but not all the circuits check out, so it gives you a warning. Particularly if the issue is intermittent.

When the trailer is hooked up, all the circuits connect, so it thinks things are fine and enough juice may be getting back to operate the trailer brakes...so the warning goes away and your brakes work.

Had an issue with our ford where the wire to one of the trailer brakes was chaffed and a strand was intermittently hitting the frame setting off a similar issue.

Okay will definitely check the wiring behind the plug when it warms up this weekend. Thanks!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Might check the wiring near the trailer plug. If there is a short, it may have closed the circuit that the truck checks to determine if a trailer is attached but not all the circuits check out, so it gives you a warning. Particularly if the issue is intermittent.

When the trailer is hooked up, all the circuits connect, so it thinks things are fine and enough juice may be getting back to operate the trailer brakes...so the warning goes away and your brakes work.

Had an issue with our ford where the wire to one of the trailer brakes was chaffed and a strand was intermittently hitting the frame setting off a similar issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
Check for corrosion inside the back of the trailer connector, on the vehicle side.

Thanks, will do.

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
if it is like the silverado, highly likely the problem is the manual trailer brake control lever on the dash. easy peasy to replace and often fixes the problem.

I have replaced the dash's trailer brake controller. Super easy to do. However didn't fix the problem.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
if it is like the silverado, highly likely the problem is the manual trailer brake control lever on the dash. easy peasy to replace and often fixes the problem.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for corrosion inside the back of the trailer connector, on the vehicle side.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY