Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Algonquin Provincial Park and Mew Lake Campground

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone

We thinking of doing a 4 night stay sometime in the 1st 2 weeks of Aug 2019.

From what I have read there is a bike trail/rail trail that goes through the campground, anyone use it for biking? We enjoy moderate to easy hiking, kayaking, swimming and level biking trails.

Would really like to see some moose on this trip, how numerous are they?

Anyone have experience with the campground? We hope be booking a 30 amp site (site 1 through 66) anyone have a recommendation on a particular site?

Also on a review I read the dump station is down the road on highway 60 away from the campground and there was some mention you might need to fill water at the dump station? but I see water fill stations at the campground? (I would just like to do 1 stop at the dump station while leaving the provincial park)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
7 REPLIES 7

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. I do plan on bringing a 5 gallon water container for this trip.. just incase.

I didn't relize this campground was that tough to book, so I will be online on when the window opens.

Thanks again! :C
Mike

This campground is open all year - it is difficult to get in even in the winter. Be sure you are ready to register at 7 a.m. the day registrations open. It will likely be a frustrating experience, but you will enjoy the park.

Frustrating experience was a understatement. tried booking twice the past 2 days at 7am on "their system time". Had several windows open trying to book any available electric site. all were taken before my computer could reserve a site. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. I do plan on bringing a 5 gallon water container for this trip.. just incase.

I didn't relize this campground was that tough to book, so I will be online on when the window opens.

Mike

This campground is open all year - it is difficult to get in even in the winter. Be sure you are ready to register at 7 a.m. the day registrations open. It will likely be a frustrating experience, but you will enjoy the park.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Years ago they put contraptions on that would not allow you to connect a hose - hence the need to go to the fill up at the dump station.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this may help with that problem

Or you do as most of us do, just fill your 5 gallon aquatainers and fill your tank with those.
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot pretty much said it all. It's prime time and you will need reservations which book up fast. Reservations start 5 months in advance to the day, at 7am. Go here to reserve.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago they put contraptions on that would not allow you to connect a hose - hence the need to go to the fill up at the dump station.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this may help with that problem
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Mew Lake several times but not recently. The bike trail does go past the campground and is a pleasant ride to Rock Lake Campground. The trail is mostly flat and you never know what wildlife you may see along the way. Take a picnic and enjoy a leisurely ride.

Yes, the dump station is down the highway. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but I am thinking about 4 miles to the East on Hwy. 60. It used to be you could not fill up with water at the c.g. but I think that has changed and there may be a couple of spigots you can use. There is not water at every site in any provincial park - just a tap or two around each camping loop. Years ago they put contraptions on that would not allow you to connect a hose - hence the need to go to the fill up at the dump station.

The first 2 weeks of August will be prime time so you will want to make your reservations as soon as they open for the year. We don't stay at a lot of provincial parks so I am not sure when reservations open - that info is probably on the website - but DO IT ASAP. Another c.g. choice to consider is Lake of Two Rivers which is almost next door to Mew Lake. The bike trail is also accessible there.

Hope it all works out for you.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)