cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Cell Phone As Your GPS

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do a lot of you use your cell phone as a GPS? I know that using the GPS on your phone runs your battery down faster so generally you need to have it plugged into power at all times. Just wondering if this is hard on your cell phone battery since your battery is constantly charging and screen is lit up at all times. Second question for those of you that have iPhones. Do you prefer Apple maps or google maps.
50 REPLIES 50

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
We use both. Our toad is a Honda Fit and the factory GPS in it in a word SUCKS! Google maps has often been a life saver when exploring in the Fit.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Don't anwser the call........... Focus on driving.

Lantley wrote:

Good point Bill,
What do cell phone users do for GPS when the phone rings?

You will still lose your GPS when it rings. Hopefully the GPS is not in the middle of an instruction.

My Android reduces the GPS to a small window when the phone rings, but doesn't close it. I just have the navigator/DW dismiss the call and maximize the GPS screen. If the ringer is turned off, it just shows a banner across the top, with the options to accept/dismiss the call, and leaves the GPS in charge.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
paulcardoza wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Good point Bill,

You will still lose your GPS when it rings. Hopefully the GPS is not in the middle of an instruction.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Good point Bill,

What they SHOULD do is pull over and STOP while taking the phone call. You don't need GPS directions when stopped.

What they actually do likely is somewhat different......and now is ILLEGAL in many states.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley wrote:

Good point Bill,
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

babock
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
I use my cell phone as a backup but won't consider using it as my primary. I have both Copilot and Sygic Truck installed on my phone so the map database is stored on the phone so I'm not dependent on cellular service. Even with that, I've had times that I've been in a city trying to follow some rather intricate directions and I'll get a text or a cell phone call that preempts the GPS rendering it useless. I'll stick with my Garmin!!

Bill J., Lexington, KY
If I am going to be in an area I know will have poor cell service, I save that area to the phone and it's available when you don't have cell coverage.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
whjco wrote:
I use my cell phone as a backup but won't consider using it as my primary. I have both Copilot and Sygic Truck installed on my phone so the map database is stored on the phone so I'm not dependent on cellular service. Even with that, I've had times that I've been in a city trying to follow some rather intricate directions and I'll get a text or a cell phone call that preempts the GPS rendering it useless. I'll stick with my Garmin!!

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Good point Bill,
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

whjco
Explorer
Explorer

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
iPhone + Waze for several years. Now, iPhone, Waze + Carplay on my new vehicle. Huge Waze fan..........
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
If you plan a route with Google Maps on your computer you can download it to your phone. That means that map of the route is stored on the phone.

Except that any modifications to the original route that you make on the computer are not saved when you download them to the phone.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan a route with Google Maps on your computer you can download it to your phone. That means that map of the route is stored on the phone.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

Easy to find on Google. Micro-cycling is one side affect, and other is driving "whiskers" deeper into the electrode structures, making them less likely to dissolve in future recharge cycles.

One can find almost ANYTHING searching the net....some true and some not.

In this particular case, one needs to know the general type of battery being discussed and the specific chemistry it is made with AND the design of the charger that they are working with.

Your general statement is generally NOT true across all the possible variables.

I have cordless phone batteries at home that have been on continuous (mostly) charge for over 10 YEARS and they still work fine.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Cellphone with WAZE
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
carmichael wrote:
With co-pilot do you need to be on a data plan or are all maps preloaded? Can it be used on a chromebook while offline?

The Co-Pilot maps are downloaded, the traffic update addon uses cell or data connection. Not sure about chromebook, no experience, but should work just like an android tablet.