cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Sling TV while traveling. What's the best way?

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Our grandson plays football for a Pac12 college. Direct TV does not offer Pac12 channels and we are not open to changing away from Direct. We subscribe to SlingTV to see the games for 3 more years. We have Verizon cell service. Our RV TV is HD but not smart. We have watched the games on our tablet (SlingTV app) in a hotel before that had good wifi. What is the best way to ensure we can see the games when we travel this Fall? We will be going from SoCal to Colorado (to see a game) then on to Missoula then home. We'll be gone at least a month, possibly two. Thanks!
Oldcarfun
2009 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2005 Jeep GC Toad
10 REPLIES 10

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, you need good WiFi on both ends.

Im not sure what you mean by the above statement. The recording is done by Sling on their server. You just go into the guide and set it up to record the show - It is then saved at Sling. You can watch it whenever you want provided you have a good signal.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

oldcarfun wrote:
Is there a DVR option on Sling?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
oldcarfun wrote:
I just called Sling and we already have the cloud DVR service because it comes with the extra football channels. That will help if we don't have good wifi where we are at during game time.

I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, you need good WiFi on both ends.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Roy. Something to think about.
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
WALMART has a great price on a 24-inch SMART MODE HDTV set... It has inputs for all those things... I am using two of the elcheapo 24-inch units for computer monitors... I paid $88 each for them over xmasโ€ฆ They are a 24-inch PHILLIPS 3000 Series...

Made me a nice computer Desk top setup as shown here...
Feeding these with two LAPTOPS... One for social media and the other one is my main OFFICE laptop... Only do my wild surfing using the old laptop...

Roy's image

You might be able to setup something like this for your kids to play with on RV Trips...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much! I just called Sling and we already have the cloud DVR service because it comes with the extra football channels. That will help if we don't have good wifi where we are at during game time.
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a DVR option on Sling?
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you can do is subscribe to the dvr option to record if you cannot get it live.
-- Chris Bryant

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Your Verizon service should do it, but it'll use a lot of data. You may luck out and find CG wifi, but that's iffy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I can't assit you on the Sling question but our daughter and son-in-law will attend the USC-Colorado game. One place they haven't been! They want to see Ralphie.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad