cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to identify make / model of toilet

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My toilet is leaking at the elbow connection of the freshwater supply line. I think that the elbow has a small crack in it. It uses PEX tubing that connects into the elbow. It is a porcelain toilet and uses a foot pedal to flush.

How can I identify the toilet? What special tools are required for dealing with PEX tubing? Can I buy these tools at Home Depot or Lowes etc.?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
13 REPLIES 13

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

My brothers friend who does bath and kitchen remodeling stopped by and was able to fix it.

It appears that the crimp was not tight enough. He had all the PEX tools and had it fixed in 2 minutes. Did not require a new elbow.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Dave

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes you can get away with just re crimping the connection using a pair of side cutters.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
FLAIR-IT SWIVEL ELBOW 1/2โ€ X 1/2โ€ FSWV BSP

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Susch a tight area to work in, I would remove the toilet to gin better access.
Cut the stainless steel crimp clamp. Hope you have enough slack to cut pipe to remove area where crimp is. install new elbow.
Hard thing this morning for me is finding a fitting with the toilet connection that pivots. I know they make them!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The black knob is likely threaded. I use a screwdriver to pry open the pex clamp and replace it with a standard plumbing screw clamp. You could use a sealant if they becomes necessary or replace the elbow and/or a section of the pex pipe.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

I used my cell phone and got a photo of the label. It is a Thetford model 42070. The leak seems to be where the blue PEX line connects to the elbow. I have attached a photo.

How do I remove the line and reattach it so it does not leak?

Dave

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Info on my Domedic 310 is under the lid.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
How to identify make/model of toilet

Assuming it is mounted in a:

"2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel" (from your sig line)

Take pictures of the toilet and post them here. Someone will know the make/model by looking at it. Or, call the manufacturer of the RV. Or, look in the documentation that came with the RV. (owners/installation manuals)

Chum lee

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
How can I identify the toilet?

take pictures of the back of the toilet with a cellphone then look at the pictures and blow up the part with the identification label to read it.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just the feed line to the toilet, you can fix it easily. My favorite is Flair-It fittings. No tools required. Here's a like to their catalog: http://leggettsupply.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/PexLock-Catalog_022218-web.pdf (the white fittings starting on page 12 is what I use). You can find these fitting in better RV supply stores and Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flair-it&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

https://flairit.com/

There's a good chance you can find a picture of your toilet here: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/hygiene-and-sanitation/sanitation/rv-toilets

or here: https://www.thetford.com/products/toilets/rv-toilets/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Save your self some dollars and use fPEX fittings like these. No special tools required.
It is more likely that your water valve is leaking.
Thetford toilets identification using these photos may help on identifying what toilet you have.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There is sometimes an identification label on the back side of the toilet at, or near, ground level. Get a mirror if getting to it is difficult.
Yes on PEX plumbing supplies. Hardware/RV/big box stores will often stock it or similar. Just ask them or look online.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)