cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My TT ain't so great for winter camping....

As much as I love my Tango, I have learned this week it ain't so great for winter weather camping.

I have a project in Red Deer Alberta to build, so I brought my hotel with me. I found a really great place that is open year round! Westerner CG. Great people and a nice place to stay.

So I arrive here, the nights are only dipping 6-8 degrees below freezing and I see a few issues. Ran water in the toilet yesterday and had a bunch of little ice lumps in the bowl. Hmmm...

Furnace is working overtime to keep up. I am supplementing with a 750W electric heater. I guess the 12 foot slide doesn't help. My floor is very cold, I question the insulation factor.

But! I was very happy to dewinterize in November and head out. So I burn a little more propane. Oh well, I'm warm, I'm in my favorite place, the RV, and I'm happy!

Perhaps I should look at 4 season rated units. I won't buy a new one, prices are stupid. Maybe an Arctic Fox or something.
But I like the Tango. I know they have a model made for winter, insulated underbelly etc.

Life is good.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
16 REPLIES 16

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Checked into the Westerner for an overnight. We often use their services on our biannual snowbird migration so we can visit the middle kid and his family. Weather is looking to cooperate for a few more nights. Soon we'll be looking for AC, not heat.
Agree with the Citation/Corsair recommendation. They're heavy, but worth it.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
If you want an RV truly 4 seasons it has to be built like your home.
IE 6" walls for R19, 15" of ceiling space for R38 insulation, thermo-pane windows, all the plumbing within the "building envelope" and a dual axle Kenworth tractor to pull its monstrous weight.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Just don't drop a whole stick of butter into your heat vent !

LMAO, I'll never live that one down! :B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
As much as I love my Tango, I have learned this week it ain't so great for winter weather camping.

I have a project in Red Deer Alberta to build, so I brought my hotel with me. I found a really great place that is open year round! Westerner CG. Great people and a nice place to stay.

So I arrive here, the nights are only dipping 6-8 degrees below freezing and I see a few issues. Ran water in the toilet yesterday and had a bunch of little ice lumps in the bowl. Hmmm...

Furnace is working overtime to keep up. I am supplementing with a 750W electric heater. I guess the 12 foot slide doesn't help. My floor is very cold, I question the insulation factor.

But! I was very happy to dewinterize in November and head out. So I burn a little more propane. Oh well, I'm warm, I'm in my favorite place, the RV, and I'm happy!

Perhaps I should look at 4 season rated units. I won't buy a new one, prices are stupid. Maybe an Arctic Fox or something.
But I like the Tango. I know they have a model made for winter, insulated underbelly etc.

Life is good.

Just don't drop a whole stick of butter into your heat vent !

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
heat loss or gain is related to wall/ceiling/floor surface area. And trailers have lots of surface area for such a small inside volume. Couple that with minimal insulation, lots of window area and heat loss or gain gets pretty high in a hurry.

When it gets cold, plan on the furnace running a lot, and suplimenting with electric heat if needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
You have discovered what most rvโ€™s offer for wintering capabilities! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you fared OK! If you end up going with another unit look for a Citation Supreme or Corsair Excella; they were quality 4 season Canadian built units with good insulation, thermopane windows, heated tanks, etc. and are rated to be good to -30C. Plus there's plenty of them in Alberta. We have stayed in ours in temps similar to what you just did and didn't notice that it was cold until we had no water in the morning; the water hose was frozen! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Ah it's all good everyone!
This is nothing compared to the 2 Calgary winters I did in my old Triple E TT.
Somehow the old Topaz seemed to fare better. But! My Tango has twice as many windows, and a lot bigger ones too. And a 12 foot slide too.
So I burn some extra propane, it's ok, I don't mind.
The trip out to the hitch in my underwear 2 nights ago at 4AM to switch bottles was a bit nippy! Haha!

Yes I have all windows, vents etc closed, But as mentioned, everything is thin especially the single glazed windows. Furnace works like a champ.
Never too cold, I have blankets, and a finger to push the t-stat higher if I want.
I brought one 1500W heater, but one side burned out, it's only good for 750 now.

My gig here in Red Deer is up tomorrow, I'll stop by Wally World and grab a jug of pink before I head back to Calgary. Sigh.... That's it til next year.

Happy to be out here.

And if anyone wanders through here and need s place to to stay, The Westerner is open year round. I am surprised at how many rigs there are in here! Lots of them!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
edit - missed it some more:)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get an extra cylinder of propane to keep the heat on and a few area rugs to warm the floor a bit.
Good to go ๐Ÿ™‚

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Very few RVs of any type handle below freezing temps well. You really need heaters for fresh gray and black water.

If you have 30A electric service use 2 electric heaters !

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, if you get too cold there's always a Staybridge Suites in Red Deer . . . free breakfast and plenty of heat! ๐Ÿ™‚
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Even our 4-season trailers were nothing to brag about in freezing temps.
Winterize and make it work is a viable option.
Oh, glad you're enjoying yourself.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
edit - missed the plot totally ๐Ÿ™‚