cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintaining air gap in new Atwood water heater

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
I am familiar with the procedure of how to get an air gap in a RV water heater to prevent
pressure valve leak, but this new Atwood water heater just will not maintain the air gap.
Do you think it is A bad relief valve? Thanks for your feed back.
16 REPLIES 16

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Snip... Air goes up, water goes down; where could the air go?

It gets absorbed by the water over time.
Barney

Ya, But, How much time ???

I keep my water heater full of water (but not always turned on) all summer long and have never had a problem.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
Snip... Air goes up, water goes down; where could the air go?

It gets absorbed by the water over time.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
30 years of RVing, 3 different RVs...never once had to "re-establish" an air gap in the water heater (and since I live in SoCal, I've never drained/winterized/refilled it either).

Seriously, it would be nearly impossible to "lose" the air pocket in the top of a WH unless there was a leak at the very top of the tank to allow the air to escape (or you park your rig upside-down:E). Air goes up, water goes down; where could the air go?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
What is happening that makes you say the air gap is gone? Are you equating a dripping or leaking pressure relief valve to mean the gap is gone? If so my bet is on either a piece of something holding the valve slightly open, or a failing valve. I don't think a leaky valve can deplete the gap as the valve is lower than the bubble(check Chris Bryant's post above).

My relief valve weeps from time to time, typically I reseat it and the problem goes away. Try letting the tank cool and then open and shut the valve a few times. I guess the valve is replaceable as a last resort. But I would be concerned that the aluminum threads would come out with the valve.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
An easy way to re establish the air gap is by injecting air into the water line. To do this drain the water from your water supply hose. Then re connect the hose to the water supply and to the RV. Turn the water supply on. Turn on a hot water faucet in your RV. Air from the hose will be forced into the water heater.

Every time you re connect an empty hose you re establish an air gap IF you open a hot water faucet first.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
I've always heard the air gap in a water heater tank is what caused the valve to leak. Burp the valve and no more leak. At least, mine works that way.

Most likely what you're doing is just re-seating the valve. Unless you hold the P/T valve open until a solid stream of water comes out, you still have some air bubble in there.

We did the same thing in a steam plant. If a relief valve was jiggling a little during startup, we'd lift the seat and let it slam back down to stop the dribble.

Here's how it works.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
For a permanent solution consider a small expansion tank.

Amazon - Shurflow

Expansion is an issue for closed systems. Mine would leak at the water pump fittings if the WH would heat a tank of cold water with no usage. Took a lot of time to eventually find the intermittent issue.
This is what I did. Our B has such a small water system that if I didn't let out some water at the kitchen faucet while water heating the relief valve would leak a bit. My manual (and the notice inside the door of the water heater) says that's normal. I just installed an expansion tank and so far so good.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've always heard the air gap in a water heater tank is what caused the valve to leak. Burp the valve and no more leak. At least, mine works that way. Once all air is purged from the tank, the valve no longer leaks.
The only time it comes back is when I sanitize the system by draining and filling a couple times with chlorinated and plain water. Then I heat up the water, see it dribble, burp the air and let it cool down, then repeat. Second time; no leaks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a permanent solution consider a small expansion tank.

Amazon - Shurflow

Expansion is an issue for closed systems. Mine would leak at the water pump fittings if the WH would heat a tank of cold water with no usage. Took a lot of time to eventually find the intermittent issue.

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I thought a bad valve was probably the problem.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
Skipg wrote:
I am familiar with the procedure of how to get an air gap in a RV water heater to prevent
pressure valve leak, but this new Atwood water heater just will not maintain the air gap.
Do you think it is A bad relief valve? Thanks for your feed back.

well, I'm not. we're in year 33 of this RV thing and have never heard of a WH air gap. not being sarcastic...just wondering what the heck you're talking about.
40 plus years for us never heard of it either.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
tnks.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The air gap is actually an expansion tank. Water being uncompressible will rapidly increase in pressure when heated. If there is no air bubble at the top of the water heater, then the water pressure will pop the P/T valve every time the burner or element kicks on. With the air bubble in the top of the tank, it just compresses the bubble. Re-establish the bubble by shutting off water to the camper, open the P/T valve and drain some hot water. Close the P/T valve and open things back up.

Skip - if the bubble keeps collapsing, I'd replace the P/T valve. The seat isn't holding.

Rich - you've probably never had to deal with this because you drain your water heater every fall, thereby re-establishing an air bubble every spring.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox