cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lincoln Problem

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this is not the place to ask about car problems, but I couldn't get a good response from the Lincoln Forum and in the past, some brilliant people on this forum have saved me thousands.

We have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car that looks, runs, and drive like new. Other than routine maintenance it has been fantastic.

Now we have a problem with no solution so far. My wife went to use the car and it would not start. It turned over very well but wouldn't start. I tried a little starting ether and still nothing. I used my road service to have it towed to a garage. Once there, they tried to start it and it started right up. For a week they had the car and started it up every hour and each time it would start. They could find no problem and returned it Friday. Saturday, my wife went to take it shopping and it wouldn't start. I tried and it wouldn't start. I'm sure the problem is electrical but can't figure out what the problem is or where to take it.

has anyone had a similar problem? Intermittent problems are the very worse kind.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com
11 REPLIES 11

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you replaced the relays that you tapped yet?

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
:C
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Something quick and easy to check. Next time the engine will not start, crank again and after 5-10 seconds press the accelerator pedal to the floor and HOLD IT THERE while you continue to crank for another 30 seconds ! It will likely start. The problem is a sticky Idle Air Control valve. Remove and clean or replace.

I believe this is the correct one Motorcraft CX1648

(I worked in Ford Engineering back then !)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know of two things that can cause that but the mechanic should have noticed one of 'em.. (There is a button hidden somewhere that resets the fuel pump impact sensor) I've had that sensor trip on a Mercury when I hit a pot hole.
(one of the reasons I don't drive ford products).

The other is from an old story in Popular Mechanics (1960s) They had a series called Gus Wilson's Model Garage.

A customer always had problems when HE drove the car.. His wife no trouble. She claimed it was because he was overweight and told him to lose weight.

Gus. after checking it out. also told him to lose weight.. ON HIS KEY RING.. You seee her ring had the car keys and the house key and that's all. He had the work keys as well way heavier.

That said modern cars the ignition switch is different and SHOULD NOT suffer that way. But every time I hand in my motor home ring the mechanic says "You should not have all that weight on the key" (I don't there's a key without a ring in the ignition. the heavy ring is the master ring).

There are a few other possible causes as well One is the vintage Gas Line Freeze Up... IF your home is sub freezing and the car started IN Heated Shop.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are something else!!!!! I tapped the relays and the car started. Many thanks, guys, you hit the nail on the head.

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a ford f250 diesel do this .the ford company gave me a new truck. long story .

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We had an F 150 do the same thing. after the second trip to the dealer, they discovered a bulletin on the problem.
I think it needed a starter relay, relocation kit. If they make a kit for it , it has to be common.
Sounded to me like some engineer put it in a bad location, and now I have to pay to move it.
It worked. That was the important thing.
Your dealer should be able to check for service bulletins on similar problems.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
On the drivers side under the hood locate the eec relay and either change it with a new one or swap it with another. I changed it with my horn relay when we were stuck out in the desert.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an ignition circuit issue...possibly the module or harness. Try poking around one of the Mustang or Crown Vic forums for input.

Gary

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an ignition circuit issue...possibly the module or harness. Try poking around one of the Mustang or Crown Vic forums for input.

Gary

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Do Lincolns have a chip key? If so, Try reprogramming your keys.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.