cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rough country Lift good or bad?

Zenjule
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a rough country lift like this? i don't know much about them and from what I've googled a lot of people love em and a lot of people hate em.. so whats your take?

im thinking about getting the 3" but i dont know it it will be high enough for my liking.. so if anyone has a 3" lift can you post a Picture for me?
19 REPLIES 19

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I lifted my truck and went with 35's and with stock 3.73 gears, it's now a marginal tow vehicle but **** does it look good.

Oh to the topic:
Rough country lifts are affordable.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lotta $ and some craftsmanship into those trucks.
Maybe some guys "thing" isn't Edsels, Hudsons and Hupmobiles either....

Naw you're right, they're stereotypical bro dozers. But that Ram would be pretty sweet if the skinny jeans tires got swapped for the right size donuts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
EgoLifts! Check them out on the web.

Then what's holding you back?

Fish your sig line still says 2012 Ford!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:

Then what's holding you back?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I covered that on the post ahead of yours^.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose of the lift is ________________________ ?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Rough country lifts are on the bargain end of the spectrum.

Ditto.

There's a reason the word Rough is in their name. That's the ride quality you get with a low end lift kit.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What he said^.
But most importantly, if you do a body lift on your truck, youโ€™ll look like your rednek cousin Joe Dirt from down n the holler! All youโ€™ll need is the mullet and a pack of Winston lights to complete the look. Still cheaper than a suspension lift !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
There are suspension lifts and body lifts:

A suspension lift will put everything higher except the axles and is generally preferred for real off road use. This will give you more problems when towing because of the tall receiver, sharper drive line angles and higher center of gravity.

A body lift leaves the frame and power train at stock height but uses spacers to raise the body higher. Although this is not as good for offroading, it will allow you to run taller tires with less hitch compensation required and the CG will stay closer to stock.

My opinion is that tow vehicles should not be lifted but for those that do, using a body lift will create less issues.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Well you can forget about whatever your tow rating was with a lift/big tires.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
when I had my jeeps I did well with Rustys Offroad. They were cheap and correct.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"LIft kits are mostly for show. You make your truck more top heavy. It does not increase your ground clearance unless you add taller tires. Then the geometry of your drive train gets affected."

x2, ppine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
I have a 2.5โ€ level on mine. I like the look when not towing and it was needed to fit 35s without rubbing in the front. That being said they are not ideal for towing for many reasons. Without the factory rake my truck looks tail low when hooked up. You will have a higher centre of gravity and if you use larger tires the higher sidewall will flex more and feel squirmy. You will need a large drop draw bar (mine is 6โ€) and you can forget about towing a fifth wheel level without significant mods to the trailer.

Got the exact same truck and lift you do. RC isn't bad, a basic entry level kit. I replaced all my shocks at the time I did the level and it still rides like a truck. I just added air bags to help with the sag when loaded since I also haul a golf cart in the bed with the trailer. I kept the rims at 17" and am just below a 35" tire. I haven't noticed any more squirm or flex than I did with the factory size tires.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!