cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

James Island CG closing

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been able to camp for a while due to illness. Made reservations @ James Island CG in Charleston a few weeks back for our Anniversary 4/22. Anyway, They called yesterday and said they were cancelling and a full refund would be sent. I didn't think to ask how long they are closing for. They probably don't know right now anyway.

Just a FYI
11 REPLIES 11

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
They want you to stay home. While I'm not sure I totally agree. I do understand the logic.
For many RVers, it IS their home. Not only permanently, but while on the road home. I just think that decision could use a bit more thought.

Arizona's state parks are still open, and I'm counting on that on my way to NM. Otherwise, I'll just have to pull over to the side of the road.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI this is a county park. SC state parks still have no comment on which way they will go.
Puma 30RKSS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is quite frankly very little interaction between campers and CG staff. I agree with the post above to close bathrooms, community gathering areas, close CG for day use. Grocery stores are open and staff takes care to keep things clean. When fueling your vehicle sanitize the pump handle and touch pad and continue as normal. Most campers already know how to wash and protect their hands from contaminants, at least those that dump their black tanks, or hook up to water. The risk of exposure to Covid in a CG is pretty darn low. And yes you can sit around a campfire, converse, sing and have a good time without touching.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley, good post!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
They want you to stay home. While I'm not sure I totally agree. I do understand the logic.
Closing CG's hopefully limits activity and interaction.
Maybe if the CG if 15 minutes from home there is limited interaction.
But if your coming from faraway, you may need, fuel, food, and whatever assistance required.
Closing the CG eliminates all that activity. It also eliminates the need for CG staff and all the services required by the CG.
In the grand scheme of things camping is a leisurely activity. It is not necessary and easy to shut down. There is no requirement/necessity to keep it open. For that reason we are seeing government run CG's closing.
Private CG that have livelihoods involved are more willing to weather the virus storm and remain open, but government CG are closing,it's a simple thing to do. From a community spread perspective there is no upside to keeping them open.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
IMHO, part of the knee-jerk panicked over-reaction by authorities hoping to show that they did . . . something . . .
What's disturbing is leaving the bathrooms open for day use. Sharing faucets, toilets, door handles. Just shut the bathrooms and call it good. Self-contained only.

Perhaps the state authorities think campers are just going to show up in big groups and sit around the campfire holding unwashed hands singing cumbaya.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, same here. They're just spreading hysteria and doing no good at all IMHO.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Closing campgrounds.. makes very little sense.

Completely agree!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:

IMHO, part of the knee-jerk panicked over-reaction by authorities hoping to show that they did . . . something . . . .

It is a pandemic, there will be a lot of people infected, many will die, and yes, it is tragic. Absolutely, there are things that must be and should be done to minimize spread of this virus. But a little forethought would be very helpful here, especially a consideration of "unintended consequences." Closing down absolutely everything is going to be a disaster of another sort, and we don't need disasters piled atop disasters.

Close bars and sit-down restaurants, cancel sporting, theater, and concert type events, makes sense. Campgrounds, not so much.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sending campers out on the roads.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer