cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV living and registering child for 1st grade.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if this is possible and if so, how people do this?

I am pretty sure I saw kids getting picked up and dropped off by the school bus at our last campground..

If you have a house with no wheels, you’re good.
If you’re deemed homeless, you’re good.

In between those two, you’re a non-resident and must be rejected!
Lol
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
Consider home-schooling if its an option. We're in year 2 of it, its wonderful.

But you don’t live in cousin Eddys RV.
Personally the only up side to this recent mandatory “home schooling” is my boys are getting a lot of my menial tasks and projects done for me!
They’ve now maintained the sleds for summer, a couple oil changes, pressure washed everything in sight and will be demo-ing a deck here in about an hour!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Swim_Coach
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to retirement, I was the Transportation Director for a Florida School System. We picked up children at RV parks, motels, etc. Parents would go to the nearest school to register. The school would call our office to get the assigned bus route and we were ready to pick up the kids the next day, or drop them off after school that day if they wanted us to do so.
Not sure about other places, but my experience has been that the school want to teach kids.
Good luck.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider home-schooling if its an option. We're in year 2 of it, its wonderful.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Tucson there are a few full-timers with small children living in their RVs at the county fairgrounds RV park. School bus picks the kids up.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Not true, you are paying the property tax of the park owner via your rent, same as if you lived in an apartment.

Agreed, but most likely it's nowhere near what they'd get if you had a stick-and-brick. Each school system determines how much per year it costs to educate a child and in some school districts the amount is quite a bit. In MA the average per district was over $16K per student and that's not the highest in the country. My comments are not to discourage people from full-timing with kids-I'm a firm believer most children learn more from the outside world than the classroom. I have no idea how campgrounds are taxed or the tax rate would be but even if it were only 1 child it's a fair chunk of tax revenue.
In Montana we are taxed on the business value of the property. Like many states, Montana has different taxing assessments and rates for different types of businesses and properties. In Montana RV parks fall under the same category as other lodging facilities. If RV parks become long term stay locations with many children enrolling in schools and the residents using other governmental services I would expect that taxing status would change. Currently, RV park guests use very little in those governmental services. Park guests don't have children in school, they are not collecting from state unemployment funds or state welfare programs and are seldom a problem that require law enforcement intervention. In my opinion it is in the best interests of most RV'ers for RV parks to continue to be used for recreational RVing and not long term housing, taxation being yet another reason why.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind. On my soap box again.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not true, you are paying the property tax of the park owner via your rent, same as if you lived in an apartment.

Agreed, but most likely it's nowhere near what they'd get if you had a stick-and-brick. Each school system determines how much per year it costs to educate a child and in some school districts the amount is quite a bit. In MA the average per district was over $16K per student and that's not the highest in the country. My comments are not to discourage people from full-timing with kids-I'm a firm believer most children learn more from the outside world than the classroom. I have no idea how campgrounds are taxed or the tax rate would be but even if it were only 1 child it's a fair chunk of tax revenue.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned above - each state laws may be a bit different.

Someone living in a state like Florida or Texas with tens of thousands of people, and their kids, living in RV parks as full-time residents. Not really a big deal.

Another state with very few people doing that - maybe a bigger burdern of proof as to what is the parents/ guardians real residence/ domicile.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know Pa laws, but am a retired school administrator. Is your mailing address the campground? Is the campground within the school district? Most importantly do you live at that address? If all answers are yes, your children can legally attend the school district. However, if you do not reside at the campground you reside outside the district and cannot enroll.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

It's a matter of funding. If you aren't paying taxes into that particular school system then the town/district bears the burden of paying for the education but gets nothing in return. Granted the homeless most likely don't pay in either but there's a big difference between those who can't pay vs. those who just aren't paying.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

It's a matter of funding. If you aren't paying taxes into that particular school system then the town/district bears the burden of paying for the education but gets nothing in return. Granted the homeless most likely don't pay in either but there's a big difference between those who can't pay vs. those who just aren't paying.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an area in Texas outside of Austin that allowed RV park address as valid for school enrollment.
I wonder if there is a way to find out what other states allow this?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
I am wondering if this is possible and if so, how people do this?

I am pretty sure I saw kids getting picked up and dropped off by the school bus at our last campground..

If you have a house with no wheels, you’re good.
If you’re deemed homeless, you’re good.

Lol

When you take your daughter to enroll in school, just give them the address of your RV Park. It is not the schools business that you live in an RV. 2nd. choice just ask school to enroll your child in "Independent Study" where you can home school or just enroll your child in the "Home School Program".

I had a long drawn out response to this entirely ridiculous "2nd. choice."
But since the website crashed, just think about how bad that option is for a child that is growing up in a situation where their family unit is LIVING in a RV, presumably not voluntarily. IE their personal and financial situation dictates that that is the best they can do.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah we ran into this as well, and nowadays an eLearning curriculum is available with most school districts so you can find a well rated one and reside there. We choose to pursue Khan Academy and resources from the local library, and they're generally ahead of their peer group.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.