cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on buying a "prior salvage tilte" RV

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today we looked at a 5-wheel toy hauler that had a "Prior Salvage Title".

The owner explained to me that he bought it in Texas from a salvage or insurance company after a hail storm (large hail). We are in MN. He said he replaced the roof and did some other body work on it. He then said he had to have it inspected to get the title changed from salvage to "prior salvage". Looking around his yard, it was easy to see he was very mechanical he was restoring one jeep and had a Suzuki Samari he was refurbishing.

He also installed awning covers over all 3 slides, installed a 3rd heatpunmp AC in the toy hauler garage, replaced the bedroom AC with a heatpump AC, put 3 solar panels on the roof and replace all six tires with "G" rated tires last year.

The rig also had a 5500 onan gas generator with 640 hours (is that a lot?).

My question is, does a "Prior Salvage" title eliminate a buyer from getting a loan on an RV. This is not a concern for us right now, but if we decide to sell it down the road, will this be a road block to a potential buyer.

Would there be any other concerns about buying such an RV?
16 REPLIES 16

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
My only experience with a salvage/rebuilt title was on a car. I got a really good price because of the Rebuilt designation, but when it came time to sell I almost couldn't give the car away because of the title. The car looked perfect, but the pool of buyers for anything with a clouded title is diminished. But if you decide to go forward it will probably serve you well, just be prepared when the time to sell comes. I actually really enjoyed driving the car but locals wouldn't even look at it. Sold on eBay no reserve auction and sent it on it's way.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:
IDman wrote:
Don't walk away....RUN away. You don't need that many issues hanging over you if you want to enjoy RVing. My biggest concern would be the seller's honesty about WHY it was salvaged. Could have been many reasons but remember the historic FLOOD in Texas a few years ago? You say he was working on other units so that sounds like his "business".
The next buyer (when you sell) will have the same concerns as you.
There are too many GOOD units to waster your money and grief on this one!!

Okay, I am seeing the general opinion. I have a buddy who will be gong with me tomorrow who is well versed in RV construction to look at it.

The current owner has been using it for three years. He now has two small childeren and the wife prefers a smaller unit with a bunkhouse to put the kids in verses putting a sleeper in the garage on the beds. The other vehicles he was working on were at his personal residence. They were car restorations. He had them completely stripped down and was rebuilding them. We will most likely not buy as my wife didn't like the feel of the toyhauler.

I have had good luck purchasing salvage/rebuilt titled vehicles. As long as you go in eyes wide open and understand all the risks it can be a viable option. Other than the obvious checking everything out and independently confirm the quality of repairs. I also will not touch a rebuilt title vehicle unless I have full access to pre-repair damage and that can also be tricky.

Everyone selling always says something like, had some damage to front end but just needed a bumper. But also might mean they grafted on the front half of a donor car. Or it had some hail damage but didn't reveal that hail was also accompanied by 6 feet of flood waters.

Also, remember this is a branded title so the purchase price should reflect that. DO NOT over pay for a branded title.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:
Don't walk away....RUN away. You don't need that many issues hanging over you if you want to enjoy RVing. My biggest concern would be the seller's honesty about WHY it was salvaged. Could have been many reasons but remember the historic FLOOD in Texas a few years ago? You say he was working on other units so that sounds like his "business".

Okay, I am seeing the general opinion. I have a buddy who will be gong with me tomorrow who is well versed in RV construction to look at it.

The current owner has been using it for three years. He now has two small childeren and the wife prefers a smaller unit with a bunkhouse to put the kids in verses putting a sleeper in the garage on the beds. The other vehicles he was working on were at his personal residence. They were car restorations. He had them completely stripped down and was rebuilding them. We will most likely not buy as my wife didn't like the feel of the toyhauler.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Salvage title means the insurance company, in the past, decided the damage to the vehicle is greater than the amount they are willing to pay for the repair.

At that point, the insurance company generally lists the title as salvage the money is paid to the owner of the RV.

If the owner decides to keep the RV, then it's title is listed as Salvage and the repairs the unit with the money provide or it's off to the salvage yard it goes.

in this case, the owner (or the flipper) decided to repair the unit and resell it.

As others have said, if it's inspected, and it's clean, that's a decision you have to make. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a salvaged RV - because the way they are assembled to begin with is well below what I consider to be decent standards.

After just repairing my own 5er (and still in the process) i'm astounded they hold up as well as they do on the road.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:
This is not a concern for us right now, but if we decide to sell it down the road, will this be a road block to a potential buyer.

They will have the same question you have !

mrad wrote:
Would there be any other concerns about buying such an RV?

My biggest concern would be the sub-floor.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of issues I'd rather avoid.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Danger, Will Robinson! Skip this RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Contact your insurance agent. Make sure there will be no problems insuring the unit.

And get that in writing.
Would agree with others about pics. But your still have to worry about the quality of the work. If you get it in writing that it's not a problem to insure, next would be a trip to a local RV service place to have a pro inspect it. Be worth the cost given your investment, IMO.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Foremost will insure it

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If it appears that the seller is well-versed with the restoration process, he should have pictures of the before, during, and after process of what he did to the RV. If not, I think I might walk away. Of course, if the price is right, and you have it professionally inspected, and it's what you really want, I wouldn't worry too much about the resale process. Do, however, check with your insurance agent as to the insurability of the unit.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of flooding occurs in TX and I'd be looking for evidence of that. A bad roof repair is the death knell for any RV.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your insurance agent. Make sure there will be no problems insuring the unit.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to look at an other than clean title RV. Was told there was some minor damage which had been fixed. I asked if they had any pictures of "minor" damage. They said no, I walked away. I do not have the expertise to tell if it was minor damage or a wreck, plus is minor subjective?